Penn SS Series Transfer Lever: What Does it Do?

Started by nathanbrand, April 13, 2011, 07:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanbrand

I saw a reel modification on another fishing site where you can add a secondary AR dog to the Penn SS series of reels by removing the transfer lever (part #224) and the clicker dog (part #4-650 I think). I've had some issues with my anti-reverse slipping the last couple of years on my 650SS, so I'm going to try it. I can certainly live without the clicker, but I'm wondering exactly what function the transfer lever has. Anyone know?

akfish

If your AR is slipping, look very closely at the silent dog (004A650) and ratchet (010 650) to see if there is the slightest bit of wear. If so, they both need to be replaced. That should keep your AR from slipping. You really don't need a second dog unless you are fishing the reel way beyond it's capacity...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

there were photos on one of the hawaiian websites years back.  wish i knew where it was.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jimmer

The penn spinner mod is here, Capt. Jeff Rodgers Kona fishing site.                   http://fishinkona.com/jigging.htm             He also does a monthly Kona fishing report that's on a number of boards.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

redsetta

Step-by-step here, too: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3074.0
PS I've designed a 12-tooth S/S ratchet gear for the 9500SS (precision cut on a water-jet), which I hope to start testing next week.
If all goes well, I'll make 'em available to the Tani crew...
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

coores14

i haven't seen an actual answer as to what the stock transfer lever does.  i'm curious too.  anyone know?

redsetta

G'day coores,
When you disengage the upper silent dog, the transfer lever actuates to disengage the bottom 'sprung' dog as well.
I understand it's a function used in ice fishing, where you disengage the AR system and reverse-wind the bait down the hole to a specific depth, rather than just flipping the bail arm and dropping.
Disengaging the bottom sprung dog on its own just takes away the clicking - which many people do, only to find that when silent dog fails (as they do), their knuckles take a beating.  ;)
Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer