Saltiga 15H “Clicker”

Started by Jason, April 24, 2023, 07:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I'm curious if the spool lock feature on this reel can be modified to act as a clicker instead? It makes a clicking noise, when "on", when you turn the handle, but the spool is locked and no line can come off the reel.

Jason

steelfish

ayaya, you want to modify a $500 reel?

in my understanding that reel was made specifically for SPJ and that feature is to stop to fish from getting into the safety of their cave on the reef

that said, I have never used the clicker, our fishing is mostly fish on shallow reefs, you dont have time to hear the clicker to sing, few yards that your fish take from your reel and its gone, they cut the line on the rocks.
The Baja Guy

Jason

I've come here seeking advice from more experienced reel techs.

I've attached the schematic. It looks like Key No. 11 and 24 create the "spool lock". Would flipping Key No. 24 over not allow the "stopper (key 11)" to actually lock the spool?

The reel is brand new, so I don't want to break it open, unless I'm certain it can be done. If it won't work, I'll sell this reel and get a Tesoro 5NS.

Jason

Quote from: steelfish on April 25, 2023, 12:33:02 AMayaya, you want to modify a $500 reel?

Fishing out of San Diego, on my buddy's boat, we will sometimes slow-troll sardines for smaller picky tuna and a clicker can be a useful feature. Not having a clicker is not an absolute deal breaker, but would be nice to have. The reel will not be used for slow pitch jigging, so the spool lock is not needed. I want a small, machined aluminum star drag and the 15H is the perfect size. I have several other Saltigas and would love to make this one work, if possible.

Jason

UPDATE!!

For anybody that's interested...

Flipping over the A/R Ratchet (Key No. 24) does exactly what I was hoping it would. Instead of locking the spool, it creates the clicking sound, when drag is pulled, when in the "on" position. I'm happy  ;D

MarkT

Sounds to me like you bought the wrong reel! An SPJ reel costs more than equivalent bait reel.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

thanks for letting us know.  yeah, something like that is pretty specific.  and, yeah wow!!!  $500!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Jason on April 29, 2023, 12:51:28 AMUPDATE!!

For anybody that's interested...

Flipping over the A/R Ratchet (Key No. 24) does exactly what I was hoping it would. Instead of locking the spool, it creates the clicking sound, when drag is pulled, when in the "on" position. I'm happy  ;D
Way to go Jason!
I see you're mine never stops turning, Kinda like mine lol!
Sometimes, you just don't know until you try!
I was wondering the same thing about the Shimano Trinidads, think they have the spool lock as well!
There were a few of them on FB marketplace for stupid cheap! I've been interested in them ever since I saw they have mags, a year or two ago!