Daiwa Sealine SLD20-II 2 speed, won't change gears

Started by retiredandfishing, May 02, 2023, 11:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

So I have two Sealine SLS20-11 2 speeds in the shop. Both came in with the gear lock button not allowing it to change into high gear.  Unlike other 2 speeds such as the Shimano's there is no locking mechanism under the shift button to lock the button down and there is no release button to change it back into the higher gear.

Took one apart and cleaned it up, put it back together and still the same problem.  Everything else works fine, free spool is good, drag is good etc.  It was quite different than other speeds I've worked on.  On the drive shaft (Drive shaft B key # 79) there are two ball bearings that fit into holes called drive shaft balls, key # 80.  Then there is the drive shaft pin key # 85 and the drive shaft spring key # 84. When fitting the drive shaft B back into the shaft alley you must press down on the handle button key # 90 to allow those two balls to retract enough to allow the drive shaft to slide into the shaft alley.  I see all that but cannot figure out how the locking system is supposed to work. It would seem those two balls would lock somehow when the handle button is depressed, but I'm not sure of that either, nor do I understand how you would release the mechanism to change gears as there is no release button. To make a long story short, I do not understand how the gear shift system is supposed to work and there fore cannot diagnose the problem.  Wondering if anyone has experience with this reel and can enlighten me on how it works and what the problem might be. 

Thanks,Steve

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

retiredandfishing

That's the schematic. Button goes down and up. But doesn't lock down. Button bottoms out when pushed down and releases back up when you let go. 

oldmanjoe

Does the handle move in or out about a quarter inch to make the gear change .   you may have to rotate the handle to lock in a gear >
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

retiredandfishing

No movement on the handle side to side. Rotating does nothing either while holding the button in.  If I could find someone who fishes this reel they could explain to me how it's supposed to work, which should give me a clue on what's wrong with the two reels.  Thanks for the input.

retiredandfishing

Got both reels working.Handles were stuck in one position. Handles must push and pull out. Parts were stuck together.

oldmanjoe

:)  Glad you got it fixed , it would have been easier to see if one was stuck in low gear and the other was stuck in high gear .  The difference in handle location would have been different .