Need Mitchell 304 help

Started by Lunker Larry, April 22, 2023, 02:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Unable to remove side plate screws on this reel. Really shallow slot and afraid I'll destroy them if I try any harder.
Going to stick in the freezer.
Any other suggestiond are most welcome. IMG_20230422_102559.jpg
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

foakes

Hi Larry —-

The freezer might be a good idea —- then the pointed tip of a soldering iron on the screw.

What I do —-

Proper gunsmith hollow-ground screwdriver of the exact size needed —- has to have a man-sized handle.

Support the reel body with hard EVA rubber foam.

Make sure the slot is cleaned out with a dental pick before attempting screw removal.

With considerable downward pressure —- insert the screwdriver blade in the slot.

Then...turn the screw CLOCKWISE just to see it break free slightly and rotate just a hair.

Then, with strong downward pressure —- the screw should back out —-

These tiny round-bodied plate screws are flush flathead brass coated with nickel or some shiny coating.  So they are soft, and will deform easily.  On the later egg-shaped Mitchells like 300's, etc. —- they used a domed screw that sat slightly proud of the plate —- and allowed more "screwdriver bite".

Don't worry about ruining the screws (it is easy to do).

I have plenty —- and will be glad to send you (3) at no charge.

You likely already know all of this, Larry —- but I explained it so that others might be made aware.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I use the tip of my X-acto knife to clean out the screw slots. Once they're cleaned out and I can get a good screw driver bite I do as Fred suggested but I work it back & forth to break the screw loose. Your's isn't unique, most all those 304 & 314 variants can be stubborn little boogers. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Lunker Larry

Thanks guys. Was wondering how to get heat to it. Scolding iron is a good tip.
Will let you know.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Lunker Larry

Freezing the reel did the trick and they came out with relative ease. I felt lucky. Screws look pretty good.
I may have to shop at the 4000 foot parts dept as the part below is broken. No place for Mitchel parts around here. Fred, can you help me out?
IMG_20230423_142021.jpg

foakes

No problem, Larry —-

Shoot PM me your full mailing info —- and I'll drop it off at the PO tomorrow.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lunker Larry

foakes

Already addressed, Larry —-

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Brewcrafter

To add to the excellent advice regarding using proper screwdrivers and techniques above - I have been known to use a trick my Dad taught me; dip the tip of my screwdriver in a small jar of valve lapping compound to help it get a better "grip" on the screw slot. - john

Lunker Larry

Thanks to Fred a friend has his fathers favorite reel back in action. We all hold one or two things dear that give us a smile, a warm feeling and a connection with love ones who've passed on.  I'm sure it will continue to be a source of pleasant memories for him.
Thanks again Fred. Your care and generosity is most appreciated.
Regards,
Larry