Bearings Prices

Started by hotajax, May 08, 2023, 06:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 08, 2023, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: hotajax on May 08, 2023, 10:11:11 PMwhat is the knock on chromed bearings?
2 words. Salt water.
Not sure, if this is the correct place to ask, but you don't know unless you ask lol?
So recently, I've been wanting to order some Abu 4x10x4 bb's, so I went to do a search, and was completely overwhelmed with the amount of companies and products as well as prices all over the board lol!
I was thinking about using Acer racing co. Looks like you get 10 of them for about $14
Then I saw this and went to  Ali express, It looks like you can get 10 bearings for less than $7 from a few different manufacturers!
Is there really that much of a markup? or are these just junk?
And if I can get better bearings for the same price of less quality ones, I would love to be able to do that!

JasonGotaProblem

There's a lot of crap bearings out there. And a lot of marked up crap bearings to lead people to think they're getting something good, when they're just over paying for crap.

Also if memory serves you were talking about the flat side abus in the past. Those are 3x10x4 bearings. Not sure if same reels in question but that's worth mentioning.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 09, 2023, 12:27:44 AMThere's a lot of crap bearings out there. And a lot of marked up crap bearings to lead people to think they're getting something good, when they're just over paying for crap.

Also if memory serves you were talking about the flat side abus in the past. Those are 3x10x4 bearings. Not sure if same reels in question but that's worth mentioning.
I have old ones, new ones and had just about everything in between lol, but just only recently really dove into modding/servicing them myself in the past two or three years!
I had loads of them when I was younger, but stopped fishing for a long time and foolishly got rid of everything, but didn't really have much of a choice at the time!
I know the older ones have the other bearings you mentioned, and also have the 3.2 oddball here still, I do believe!
Nope, I'm just looking for some good old S/S 4 x 10 x 4 and a couple sets of ceramics, that don't cost $10-$15 a bearing!
There's just so darn many, but I've seen some ceramics going upwards of $40??? at some of the name brand companies!

Swami805

Are the bearings in the reels rusty or bad?  Maybe just clean and lube what's in there and go fishing. Abu used decent bearings
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Swami805 on May 09, 2023, 01:44:20 AMAre the bearings in the reels rusty or bad?  Maybe just clean and lube what's in there and go fishing. Abu used decent bearings
Oh, trust me, I'm not in any position to be spending money on something that's not needed
Some of them, are just not smooth after they've been cleaned and oiled.
They go in my bottom fishing reels!
Some of them have bushings also, and need bearings for those as well.
And then I would like a few sets of ceramics to upgrade a couple of sentimental Abus, for long distance!
Some of these were impulse buys, trying to find some of the ones I used to have!
Some of them, I just wanted to try out and figured I could get back what I paid for them
But, I quickly had to give that up lol!

oldmanjoe

This may help understand bearings a little better .
https://ph.rs-online.com/web/content/discovery/ideas-and-advice/ball-bearings-guide

https://koyo.jtekt.co.jp/en/2020/01/column02-01.html

Yes there is a difference in ball bearings , you get what you pay for ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

hotajax

Thanks Joe.  Good information.

jurelometer

Good educational links from Joe!

A couple or more things to add:

1. Chrome steel is a type of steel commonly used for ball bearings. Chrome plating is something different, and not something that I would expect to see in ball bearings.

2. There are many varieties of stainless steel, each with different properties. 440C is the type typically used for ball bearings.  It has good hardness, and corrosion resistance about equal to the 18/8 stainles you'll find it in your kitchen implements - which means very good fresh water resistance, and so-so for saltwater. There really is not an option for a stainless that is hard enough for bearings, having good saltwater corrosion resistance, and not ridiculously expensive.

3. 440C Stainless will corrode more slowly than chrome steel around salt water, but both will corrode relatively quickly if not protected by grease. Hence Todd's strategy of going with cheaper chromed bearings, figuring that the difference is not worth it. YMMV

4. Agree with Todd that (with a few exceptions) fishing reels are not very demanding in terms of bearing performance. Lever drags at high settings apply a lot of axial load on a couple of bearings,  and conventional reel spools can spin at higher RPMs (but not that high by bearing standards), so there might be some argument for better quality bearings in these situations.

5. The reputation of the bearing manufacturer is a better indication of quality than the bearing class, which is just an indicator of tolerances and not quality control.

6. ARB is an acronym we use for a roller clutch (AKA anti-reverse bearing).  It should be noted that these are simply clutches and provide none of the functionality of a ball bearing.

The ARB acronym is also used by Shimano for their "anti-rust bearing", which is just a normal ball bearing that corrodes just like a normal ball bearing, but  has some sort of treatment that Shimano claims will slow corrosion somewhat.

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Dave, shimano figured out a while ago, it's the name that does it. Thats why they name absolutely every feature added or removed.

MarkT

If Shimano didn't invent a name for every feature what would the marketing dept have to do? Daiwa does pretty much the same.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 09, 2023, 05:19:19 PMDave, shimano figured out a while ago, it's the name that does it. Thats why they name absolutely every feature added or removed.
They forgot to add "BRB" - bearings with round balls :)

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: MarkT on May 09, 2023, 05:32:15 PMIf Shimano didn't invent a name for every feature what would the marketing dept have to do? Daiwa does pretty much the same.
Daiwa also renames their feature names, so they can reuse the name of a past premium feature on a modern midrange or budget reel. I know, it makes tons of sense. Digigear anyone?

MarkT

That's nothing... Hagane for the win! It means steel, specifically the high carbon edge of a sword.  The way Shimano uses it  I'd take it be metal or maybe Aluminum.

HAGANE is a Shimano reel design concept created to withstand continual use and extreme abuse. HAGANE is an innovation with built-in toughness and durability that works alongside Shimano's precision engineering. HAGANE is for all anglers.

They list a Hagane body as a feature of the Talica's!  Hagane = whatever marketing wants it to mean!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

hotajax

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on May 09, 2023, 12:13:56 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 08, 2023, 10:13:29 PM
Quote from: hotajax on May 08, 2023, 10:11:11 PMwhat is the knock on chromed bearings?
2 words. Salt water.
Not sure, if this is the correct place to ask, but you don't know unless you ask lol?
So recently, I've been wanting to order some Abu 4x10x4 bb's, so I went to do a search, and was completely overwhelmed with the amount of companies and products as well as prices all over the board lol!
I was thinking about using Acer racing co. Looks like you get 10 of them for about $14
Then I saw this and went to  Ali express, It looks like you can get 10 bearings for less than $7 from a few different manufacturers!
Is there really that much of a markup? or are these just junk?
And if I can get better bearings for the same price of less quality ones, I would love to be able to do that!

You need stainless bearings for salt water, from what the more established forum members say.  The cost for stainless bearings seems to be 3-4 times the cost of chromium steel bearings.  I screwed up.  I bot bearings from Fast Eddy and paid five bucks each for chrome.  Dope.  Did a search and bot EZO stainless bearings.  The cost of being a cheapskate is expensive in the long run.

philaroman

Quote from: MarkT on May 09, 2023, 07:32:20 PMThat's nothing... Hagane for the win!

YES, Hagane ("steel" gears made from aluminum) firmly retakes the gobbledygook lead
Daiwa briefly held it w/ CRBB: 33% more B/S than Simano's ARB -- no extra charge  ::)
at least my old Biomaster w/ Super Ship gearing just sounds cool, w/out any misleading implications