Rescued Penn 430ss

Started by Fishgolfman, May 10, 2023, 03:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

A got a bunch of post sandy immersed reels. Managed to rescue all the Big Penn reels but this beat up 430ss. Pure excitement to fix a broken reel and save ut from the dump! Well it's functional now thanks to Alan Tani providing me a 420/430ss Penn shaft. Cosmetically the reel is hurting with no 430ss badge and a well epoxied drag knob. The shaft was damaged as it was fused to reel spool. The drag knob was damaged almost beyond repair. Going use this reel as is .. fish don't care how the reel looks

JasonGotaProblem

Well done. It's a great feeling.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Woodpuppy

The drag knob is the weakest part on these reels. Part no. 52-714Z. There is a new one on eBay right now, though the price is stiff at $30 + $5 shipping + tax (or I'd have already bought it).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275840551598

I've got a couple cracked ones too that I was thinking of epoxying since they're otherwise trash.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishgolfman

Yes i saw the ebay knob price! I am going to fill in the gap with jb weld. It holds up on English pig iron hardy reels.  Can even be dremeled to be smooth.

Midway Tommy

Probably going to irritate some people with this comment, but Penn clearly used the worst plastic formula available for their spinning reel drag knobs. It seems like almost every drag knob eventually cracks, especially if they have ever been turned down close to tight. It's a shame since that almost renders the reel useless. I've actually found that Oatey Fusion PVC glue does a pretty decent job of melting, welding & bonding most of those Penn drag knob cracks if you can get the crack spread enough to get glue down into it.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

alantani

took a look.  no cap.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 11, 2023, 04:34:31 AMProbably going to irritate some people with this comment, but Penn clearly used the worst plastic formula available for their spinning reel drag knobs. It seems like almost every drag knob eventually cracks, especially if they have ever been turned down close to tight. It's a shame since that almost renders the reel useless. I've actually found that Oatey Fusion PVC glue does a pretty decent job of melting, welding & bonding most of those Penn drag knob cracks if you can get the crack spread enough to get glue down into it.   

I think they probably used the best materials available at the time.

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Fishgolfman

As we all know plastic does not hold up to test of time...cross wind block in 720/722 for example... these reels are 40-50 years old..most things are done by then!! Just another opportunity for a future generation.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on May 11, 2023, 02:08:37 PMI think they probably used the best materials available at the time.

IDK, Shakespeare doesn't seem to have that problem with theirs from the same time period.

None of those Penn cracked drag knobs that I've had have shown signs of UV degradation. Most everyone of them has looked shiny and almost new.  :o  It's gotten to the point that when I'm looking to buy a Penn spinner one of the things I really focus on is whether or not the drag knob is cracked. A lot of those replacement drag knobs cost as much as I paid for the reel.  ::) Like Woodpuppy eluded to, they sure ain't cheap.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

Looking for a 430/430 ss knob on ebay is 30$ plus shipping and taxes close to $40!! I will do my best to fix the knobs that i have!!

Woodpuppy

Quote from: Fishgolfman on May 11, 2023, 05:08:29 PMLooking for a 430/430 ss knob on ebay is 30$ plus shipping and taxes close to $40!! I will do my best to fix the knobs that i have!!

And that's if you can find them at all.