Rotor removal. Jolly reel and ted williams 300. Whats trick

Started by Fishgolfman, March 12, 2023, 08:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

I have been tinkering with a ted williams 300 trying to make it work smoothly. Came to realization from the antipes italy website that Jolly deluxe was same reel just rebadged! Taking out my functional Jolly deluxe , i realized that I can't remove rotor as there us no rotor nut. I also realized that the ted williams rotor is very loose with play compared to the Functional Jolly. How do i remove rotor?

foakes

Quote from: Fishgolfman on March 12, 2023, 08:48:03 PMI have been tinkering with a ted williams 300 trying to make it work smoothly. Came to realization from the antipes italy website that Jolly deluxe was same reel just rebadged! Taking out my functional Jolly deluxe , i realized that I can't remove rotor as there us no rotor nut. I also realized that the ted williams rotor is very loose with play compared to the Functional Jolly. How do i remove rotor?

Hi Stephan —-

When the sideplate is removed —- there is a small bushing retainer screw near the bottom of the front part of the inner casing.

The rotor and bushing/worm drive just lifts out at that point.

I am gifting you these (2) new incomplete but impossible to find parts Ted Williams 300's.  Plus (5) owners manual's and a box.

I'll send them along with your parts order and reels —- it was going to be a surprise —- but thought in the meantime —- this may help you. 

These should help you have one or two complete reels with some new parts.

Of course, you already know that these are Zangi's.

Ted Williams always went to the best quality manufacturers to strike a deal and market reels, rods, tackle, etc. —- using his well known name.

He was quite a sportsman, outdoorsman, as well as a sharp businessman —- and a great ball player.  Sears was smart to have him as their spokesperson for quality sporting goods.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fishgolfman

Wow. Thanks Fred. I look forward to re-building all my reels with parts from you!! No hurry as weather in CA mtns are so treacherous this year. Be safe!!!

Midway Tommy

The rotor cup is reverse threaded onto the pinion. You can remove the rotor before, or without, removing the pinion bushing tube. Done it many times. The Pescador 300 is the same reel, too. Reverse thread is Righty-Loosey.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

Based on pictures-and info from Fred and Tommy, i was able to remove pinion and rotor. The rotor play was simple to assess, no ball bearings!!!. I think there are loose balls and previous owner in service lost them. I got reel from a closed reel repair parts pile. I may try a new sealed bearing now that i can measure. Trying to make it a better reel! Zangi live on

Midway Tommy

If the washers and cage are there you can buy the balls at the hardware store. I can't remember for sure, does the ball cage washer have 5 holes? Some photos would sure help an old feeble memory. I wasn't into saving photos & doing tutorials back when I did most of my Italian made reel herd restos.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Fishgolfman

It has three holes in cage. I re assembled reel and will take pictures next time i am working on it. I might take apart the Jolly reel to confirm but a little apprehensive but i do tinker!!

JasonGotaProblem

Why not just get a new bearing?

It's my belief that back in the day, reels were designed around the sizes of bearings that were readily available, not the opposite. Taking it further: bearing sizes that were available 50 years ago, are now the "common" sizes and as a result are inexpensive to replace.

I could be wrong about the above, but if not then my inclination is instead of trying to get the balls to salvage a bearing, replace it with a new SS bearing and likely be happier with the end result.

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 13, 2023, 04:13:41 PMWhy not just get a new bearing?

It's my belief that back in the day, reels were designed around the sizes of bearings that were readily available, not the opposite. Taking it further: bearing sizes that were available 50 years ago, are now the "common" sizes and as a result are inexpensive to replace.

I could be wrong about the above, but if not then my inclination is instead of trying to get the balls to salvage a bearing, replace it with a new SS bearing and likely be happier with the end result.

Jason, you need to take a look at some of the tutorials and examples of this type of bearing design. There is no one piece bearing here. Some have a washer (cage), plastic, nylon or metal, with various numbers of holes in them to retain the balls in their place, and some have no cage at all, sandwiched between two washers that are, sometimes flat, and sometimes with slight cupping or a groove for the balls to roll along. Chances of finding a pre-made bearing of today's style to fit these applications is about slim and none.

Stephen, you can take the cage with you to the hardware or home improvement store to find the appropriate size balls. Just make sure the diameter allows them to roll without binding and that they are a little taller than the cage is thick.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

JasonGotaProblem

Happy to acknowledge that I spoke without the relevant familiarity with this type of early ball bearing design. I'm also intrigued by it.

But a followup question: Does this mean that a modern ball bearing of the correct ID, OD, and thickness would not work as a suitable substitute?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Depends on the pinion and the outside washer designs, and whether or not you have access to machinist's tools. The pressure is excerted against the outside washers with the balls sandwiched in between and the cage keeping them in place, similar to a roller type bearing in between two flat washers.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oldmanjoe

Just a tidbit , I have used the balls from a used ball bearing for certain projects !!
  Skip the dasiey bb s they are to soft !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare