Zangi Delphino Revisted. Another challenge with 60 yr old reel

Started by Fishgolfman, May 11, 2023, 02:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Got another Delphino that wouldn't turn smoothly and of course the plunger bail lock system was gummed up. The challenge was the rotor was frozen on as brass rotor nut would not turn. Soaking and heat worked but the pinion gear would turn. Midway Tommy in some thread showed a small vise grip to hold the gear. I used a 3M pad and viola. Nut was removed! Plunger problem was also solved but in another future thread dedicated to Zangi plunger system. The culprit of not turning well was the main gear shaft of rust and greasey wax. Buffing with steel wool got reel cranking smooth. You can see minor pitting on shaft. Reel oil not grease should keep reel cranking well.

CincyDavid

Nice work, makes me want to dig through my tote of
someday" reels and did one out to tinker with.

Fishgolfman

I love those Zangi Delphinos especially those not working. Its like solving a puzzle!! Will always take them on!!

Gfish

Yeah, "nice work". A reel on my someday list. Just godda see one priced right. Looks like you made GOOD use of an officious looking and possibly Government document.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fishgolfman

Using medicare and irs paper for lining greasy messes!!

Fishgolfman

The biggest issue on these reels is the plunger bail lock system. So far all four Zangi Delfinos have this major issue of being gummed up. Two were solved by removing rotor and then unscrewing small brass retaining spring. Both rotor plungers required soaking and heat to loosen them. I steel-wool clean and silicone lubed. Well the other two one brass screw was stripped but i was able to remove rotor. I devised a blunt end tip and was able to tap plunger free and cleaned with penetration oil. Got plunger working with silicone lube. Delphino four was a hot mess. The main gear was somehow binding. Steel wool and polishing worked magic. The pain was this rotor was absolutely unremovable. No liquid penetration oil and heat with heat gun or torch would move this rotor nut. The brass screw was also stripped as well. I squirted liquid penetrating oil and soaked over a period of months with weekend heating. Voila get bubbles using compressed air! Finally freed and used wd 40 to clean. Using silicone lubricant to keep plunger free. Now i have four working Zangi Delfinos

Midway Tommy

Good for you, Stephen! Persistence and patience is the key to restoring these old dinosaurs. One of the biggest issues with the older reels is that grease was recommended for things like bail springs and those plunger style bail trip systems. All grease will do is attract dirt and eventually harden if not cleaned and serviced regularly. Even oil will attract dirt and eventually gum up. There's a lot of better things on the market nowadays. Personally,  I prefer ArmorAll for those types of lubrications.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

Explain armorall. Use it to shine my car wheels. As a light oil product how well does it hold up to use? I mostly saltwater these days with rinsing after use. I certainly understand if its used on reels for display ... don't know how many unused reels in boxes that are greased/wax and non functional with out cleaning first that i have gotten at flea markets or ebay.

Midway Tommy

I use regular old ArmorAll vinyl treatment. I fish freshwater so it might not hold up for long periods in the salt but all that is needed to refresh it is a quick little shot/spray. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

For those who find a delphino the most likely problem is bail system. Some pictures of the defino rotor off the reel.the problem child is plunger system. The plunger and spring are held in by a brass pin. Brass screw is sometimes stripped at head. Plunger is usually gummed up. With heat and soaking the plunger can be freed up. If brass screw is stripped best to do operations of cleaning with heat liquid penetrant and compressed air.