Greased Drags

Started by Keta, May 10, 2023, 01:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I like Avet reels and have several however every one of mine have greased drags.  The most common problem I find with the ones sent to me to repair are pinion bearings and corosion in the drag system.  The pitting in this photo is common and a little grease on the CF drag material cures it 100%.  Every Avet I service comes out of my shop with greased drags.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

this will clean up using the wire wheel on a bench grinder.  works great.  don't worry about the pitting in the stainless steel.  it will be fine. 

for the drag washer itself, there will be lots of rust imbedded into the weave. just use the blade of an old pocked knife to scrape off the rust and "raise" the grain of the woven carbon fiber.  hold the blade of the knife at a 90 degree angle to the carbon drag washer, then scrape back and forth, lightly at first, with just enough pressure to remove the rust and yet remove as little carbon fiber as possible. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

didn't realize this, but i have the same workbench as lee!!! ;D

jurelometer

Carbon fiber is form of graphite and an electrical conductor.  If you take a look at a galvanic corrosion table, you will see that graphite is pegged at the far end on the catholic side. Any metal paired with it will take the role of the anode and corrode when exposed to an electrolyte (like saltwater), Uncoated carbon fiber has to be one of the least desirable materials to have in contact with a metal in terms of generating galvanic corrosion.

Why any reel company thinks it is better to not grease carbon fiber disks in a saltwater reel baffles me.

-J

Keta

Quote from: jurelometer on May 10, 2023, 03:43:42 PMWhy any reel company thinks it is better to not grease carbon fiber disks in a saltwater reel baffles me.

-J

Yup. 

A  bit of dag grease rubbed into the CW and wiped off is a easy cure for a major problem and does not reduce the drag enough to be a consideration.  I also think it makes for a smoother drag.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

Quote from: jurelometer on May 10, 2023, 03:43:42 PMCarbon fiber is form of graphite and an electrical conductor.  If you take a look at a galvanic corrosion table, you will see that graphite is pegged at the far end on the catholic side. Any metal is paired with it will take the role of the anode and corrode when exposed to an electrolyte (like saltwater), Uncoated carbon fiber has to be one of the least desirable materials to have in contact with a metal in terms of generating galvanic corrosion.
-J

oh, yeah, i was just going to mention that......  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D