Let’s Play A Game

Started by Bill B, May 16, 2023, 08:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Quote from: MarkT on May 17, 2023, 05:13:02 AMLeave the crossbar off if you're not going to use the lugs for trolling!

Was debating the crossbar, might use it for trolling though.  It doesn't bother me right now, but the lugs did have to go.  If you are on the Zoom call this weekend let's discuss further.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bill B

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 17, 2023, 05:05:29 AMWhat do you fish those 49's at? I have 2 that I may one day do something with.

I used my 49's for deep drops, with the tall narrow spool (even with the slow gear ratio) I could drop in quickly and be back up far quicker than those with the small diameter high gear ratio reels.  It's all about inches per crank with the 49 series.  I've heard they were very popular with the wire line fisherman, but I don't have any experience with wire line.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Finest Kind

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 17, 2023, 05:05:29 AMWhat do you fish those 49's at? I have 2 that I may one day do something with.
I believe they were designed for trolling. Around NY they seem to have been replaced by 113H with the bronze spool by the 1970's for wire line trolling for striped bass and bluefish. I would occasionally see a 49 being used, in the 1970's, always by an old timer. I think the 113H is still the choice among professionals for dragging 100 yards of wire even today. I have always found them to be indestructible for this type of fishing.
John

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 17, 2023, 05:05:29 AMI have 2 that I may one day do something with.
Just don't flip the wrong lever or you might lose a finger.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Keta

Did Penn ever make a single lever 49 like they did the 349H?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

Thanks guys. I have a 349 as well and figured that was a more practical reel for actual fishing, I was just wondering if the 49 had a practical use beyond display, but it sounds like it's pretty obsolete.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

They work for salmon and botton fishing on the west coast. 

If your 349 is a low speed  I have a drag upkit you can have.  You can also use a 113H SS gearsleeve, the ratchet is not the same but the AR dog will still work.

I also have a a bunch of low and high gear sets with yokes for replacement or changing gear ratio.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shellbelly

Quote from: Keta on May 17, 2023, 12:50:28 PMDid Penn ever make a single lever 49 like they did the 349H?
Never seen one in the catalogs and that's not always reliable.  Looks like 349 was the only Penn reel in that class that offered the option. 

Ocean City offered the same option on their 109, smaller and more narrow, but not anywhere near as beastly as 349.

Interesting...could you get a factory 349 w/o free spool and that hole blanked off?  That would be a nice shelf item. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Keta

I have several one lever 349H reels.

Here is 1/2 of my 349/349H horde, 4 are single lever and most have 7 and 9 metal washer drag upgrades. 

Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

Isnt there also a 2 speed version? (Besides the 0:1 option)

Keta

Mark Twain

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Bill B on May 17, 2023, 05:19:15 AM
Quote from: MarkT on May 17, 2023, 05:13:02 AMLeave the crossbar off if you're not going to use the lugs for trolling!

Was debating the crossbar, might use it for trolling though.  It doesn't bother me right now, but the lugs did have to go.  If you are on the Zoom call this weekend let's discuss further.
Might be a good idea to go "topless" if going for a delete option on the harness lugs, only because many SoCal boats use harnesses clipped to the lugs hanging off the rail in trolling applications so on some boats trolling with the outfit minus the lugs might not be in the cards. - john

Keta

The SOA is not set up that way.

Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

Bill by the way i responded to your PM about handles almost immediately, but never heard a followup. No worries at all, just wanted to make sure you saw it.

Shellbelly

Quote from: Keta on May 17, 2023, 03:17:53 PMI have several one lever 349H reels.
Is there a wide kit for 349?  Seems like I've seen a wide one.