Torque 2-speed button problems

Started by DonM, May 15, 2023, 10:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

Just wondering if anyone else is having problems with the two-speed button and one of the parts cracking, specifically the "Shifter Catch" bars and the "Shifter Catch Holder". I was on a 2 day trip last week and my Torque 40LD2 wouldn't go into low gear. I kept pressing it and it eventually engaged but wouldn't disengage. The deckhand and I tried to take it apart to see what was going on but we didn't have the right wrench needed so I ended up just racking that setup for the rest of the trip.

When I got home, and got the right tool, I disassembled the two-speed button and found out that one of the Shifter Catch bars that holds the springs had snapped. The Shifter Catch Holder has also broken AND the reason that the reel didn't want to come out of low gear was because one of the two teeth at the end of the Handle Screw had bent in slightly, just enough to cause friction on the two-speed button shaft so it wouldn't move in and out freely. The Handle Screw tooth, I admit, might have bent as I kept at the button trying to get it to stay in low gear. I then took apart my Torque 25LD2 and, to my surprise, one of the bars was broken on that reel as well. We never used 40lb on this trip so I didn't even know that it probably wouldn't have engaged low gear either. I opened my 30LD2 and it seems to still be intact, thank god. One reel would be a mishap, but two?

I ended up ordering parts, and then a new fiasco started. The Retaining E-ring that holds down the Shifter Base and Handle Screw Lock Ring wouldn't go back on without a fight. Once on, the two-speed button wouldn't engage because the Shifter Catch Holder couldn't spin freely. I ended up taking drill bit and, ever-so-gently, straightened out the bent tooth of the old Handle Screw so the shaft of the two-speed button could again move freely in and out when depressed. SO, turns out the brand new Handle Screw that I had just received wasn't machined properly. It took about an hour and a half of tinkering to realize what was wrong. I let the company that I ordered to the parts from know about the faulty part and they're sending out a new Handle Screw. Not sure if I trust the one that I had to bend out.

Not sure if I just have the worst luck or if other people seem to be having issues with these reels.

alantani

i've worked on a bunch and haven't seen this problem.  i can certainly imagine it happening, though.  bummer.....  :-[
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

So far not an issue on my 25n and 40n.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Did you try to disassemble it  by turning the knob? Turning the knob might cause this. 

To take it apart you have to keep the knob from turning and use the tool to turn the "nut" below the knob.

It took a lot of force to break the metal bars and bend the ears on the "nut".
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

DonM

Quote from: Keta on May 17, 2023, 02:05:27 PMDid you try to disassemble it  by turning the knob? Turning the knob might cause this. 

To take it apart you have to keep the knob from turning and use the tool to turn the "nut" below the knob.

It took a lot of force to break the metal bars and bend the ears on the "nut".

I actually did try turning the knob on the 40, but that was only after it wouldn't go into low gear. So, I'm assuming the bar was already broken. When I did try to turn that knob, it didn't take very much force at all, which made me think something was already broken inside the reel as well. Bending the ear of the nut...like I mentioned before, probably my fault for trying to force it to stay in low, BUT it didn't take much force to bend it back into shape with the drill bit. Getting a nut that didn't fit, that was a little baffling. When I took apart my 25 at home, I hadn't tried turning the knob at all. Just used the tool/wrench like you said and when I opened that one up, and it was already broken. Maybe just a bad batch of those bars? Who knows. I didn't buy the reels at the same time or the same shop. I do take very good care of my gear. Always keep reel covers on them when they're on the rack and take the reels off the rods to and from the boat and carry them in a reel bag. Like I also said before, might just be my dumb luck.  ;)