Penn 10 Mag

Started by thrasher, June 04, 2023, 03:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrasher

I just bought a reel lot on the bay which included a Penn 10. Looking at the pictures of the Penn 10 that the seller posted it looks like it doesn't have a direct drive switch. All the other Penn 10's I can find have the direct drive switch. Am I just missing something or was there an option for no direct drive?

I bought the lot for a speedmaster III(hoping a III, bad pics) and the 10 was just a bonus really. I remember reading Sal's thread on his Mag 10 and always wanted to get one, you guys made them sound amazing  ;D

Thanks in advance

Gfish

The 140 Squidder series and some of the 49 Mariner series have the direct drive unit, but some people remove them for... ? Maybe the lever gets accidentally flipped the wrong way at the wrong time?
I have a Mag Tuned 10 I got from Wayne(Elpescador). A small reel with alota stuff packed into it: magnet, plunger type ball bearing adjustment, levelwinder, and the direct-drive on/off system. If when you get it, if you want to put the DD in, Mystic Penn Parts may have all the individual bits.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Direct drive = AR disconnect?

Every Penn 10 I have seen had it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thrasher

I was looking at the schematics on mystic.com and found the answer in the notes at the bottom.

In '84 they came without the direct drive, roughly 2000 produced. In'85 and beyond they started putting them in the reels.

Quote from: Gfish on June 04, 2023, 05:38:17 PMThe 140 Squidder series and some of the 49 Mariner series have the direct drive unit, but some people remove them for... ? Maybe the lever gets accidentally flipped the wrong way at the wrong time?
I have a Mag Tuned 10 I got from Wayne(Elpescador). A small reel with alota stuff packed into it: magnet, plunger type ball bearing adjustment, levelwinder, and the direct-drive on/off system. If when you get it, if you want to put the DD in, Mystic Penn Parts may have all the individual bits.
I actually prefer not having it, not sure why  :D

thrasher

Quote from: Keta on June 04, 2023, 05:41:19 PMDirect drive = AR disconnect?

Every Penn 10 I have seen had it.
That's what I thought and was why I was a little confused

thrasher

I guess this would be a '84 Gen 1 reel. I forgot to take before pics as always, I thought it had pitting issues but it cleaned up nicely. Looks like it was fished a couple times and then sat on a shelf in the garage since the late 80's. The other 3 reels I got with the lot are just as nice, feel like I stole them for $56 shipped