Shimano Saragosa 5000 bail won't trip

Started by retiredandfishing, July 24, 2023, 03:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Have a nice Saragosa 5000 in the shop. Bail will not trip and you can feel the bail trip lever (key # 16335) drag on the drum. Thinking it might be the trip lever is worn I ordered a new one and installed it.  Same problem, nothing changed.  I made sure the bail was sitting properly on it's arms and not pushing outward on them as this will cause bails it not trip so that is not the problem either.  My thought now is it may be the body (key #16359) and the side cover (key # 16352) causing the problem.  Thinking the body/side cover under the trip lever may be to worn to trip the bail.  Anyone have experience with this problem?

Thanks, Steve

Marktrahan

I know some of the larger Shimano spinners are Manuel trip not sure bout the 5000.

philaroman

what does that rd16335 lever hit?  don't know later gosa's
in earlier Stradic w/ that design, it hits a protruding ramp
that's part of the frame top...  not a replaceable small part  :(
wear was pretty noticeable, by the time function was lost

boon

You're trying to repair a feature that doesn't exist. These reels are manual bail, the "bail trip lever" is the rotor brake.

retiredandfishing

Wonder why key # 16335 is called "bail trip lever".  Not that I doubt you.  Just doesn't make sense to me.  Thanks. 

Steve

MarkT

The 6k and bigger have manual bails. I'd think the 5k does too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

philaroman

Quote from: retiredandfishing on July 25, 2023, 02:40:39 AMWonder why key # 16335 is called "bail trip lever".  Not that I doubt you.  Just doesn't make sense to me.  Thanks. 

Steve

aside from stupid left-over part name, I don't even understand its function in a manual-only spinner
in auto-bail Shimanos, that dogleg thing is precisely what trips the bail from bottom inside of the rotor,
that's why I was asking what it's supposed to hit in your gosa
did Shimano make an unwanted feature "dormant" instead of removing/redesigning ???

retiredandfishing

Verified it is manual.  That will teach me to research new reel designs before I go int them.  LOL

Thanks for the headsup Sensei. 

Brewcrafter

Quote from: philaroman on July 25, 2023, 04:08:57 AMdid Shimano make an unwanted feature "dormant" instead of removing/redesigning

I've seen it before - most likely saving cost on tooling and machining especially if there is a lot of crossover with other reels in the series - keeps it cheaper on the assembly.  Good example is my 975CS International, that once you pull the sideplate off has "drive and idler gears to nowhere" that would be powering the levelwind if the sideplate was used on another model of the series. - john

boon

Quote from: philaroman on July 25, 2023, 04:08:57 AM
Quote from: retiredandfishing on July 25, 2023, 02:40:39 AMWonder why key # 16335 is called "bail trip lever".  Not that I doubt you.  Just doesn't make sense to me.  Thanks. 

Steve

aside from stupid left-over part name, I don't even understand its function in a manual-only spinner
in auto-bail Shimanos, that dogleg thing is precisely what trips the bail from bottom inside of the rotor,
that's why I was asking what it's supposed to hit in your gosa
did Shimano make an unwanted feature "dormant" instead of removing/redesigning ???

The naming will be presumably because the same part is used on other reels to trip the bail. On a Saragosa it is used for the rotor brake, there is a rubber "friction ring" that sits on the front of the body and this lever engages it when the bail is open to (mostly) stop the rotor turning when the bail is open.

philaroman

oh, OK...  so rd16335 is scraping friction ring,
instead of hitting ramp on top of frame -- makes sense