Resurrection of a crusty old 4/0

Started by nelz, May 22, 2023, 01:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

About three years ago I purchased a "lot" of old reels because it contained a nice collectible. In the lot was also a crusty old 113H Senator, its posts, base, rings and big brass spool were all corroded, and a name was scratched into the corroded rings. In spite of all this, it still ran smoothly and I decided it would be a project.

Today, it is a beautiful and powerful reel that (although I will rarely have use for) I am quite fond of due to the history behind it from the Ohana here at AT.

It started with looking for replacement rings, and I was gifted a like-new set of sideplates! Wow, what a start!

Then, I traded some Jigmaster parts for that sharp looking red spool. Wow, spiffy!

Next, I purchased a PG545, and the seller threw in a Tani 4/0 knob, hmm, too big, knob sat in a drawer...

Finally, by way of our late friend Keith, I was recently gifted a like-new set of Penn bars, base, and SS post, along with a handle with a humongous knob. I removed the huge knob and attached the Tani 4/0 instead... perfect!

Three years later this reel represents a conglomeration of parts from several AT members and is a prime example of how the hobby is enriched in this place. Thanks and tight lines ohana! :fish

Cuttyhunker

Old Senators can go on forever, like the old fisherman who never dies. Nice job well endowed with Ohana!!
Doomed from childhood

JasonGotaProblem

Glad to see the parts went to good use. I didnt realize you already had a red spool. That thing looks like a winner.

You didn't use the steel gears? Not gonna lie i deliberately put on the biggest knob I had in the bin. I had a bit of a laugh at the time.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Finest Kind

Very nice! The red spool really makes it pop! Humungous knob! The one you have on there now looks like a hand filler. Cheers.
John

Shellbelly

That's a nice reel!  Wait... where's the lugs?  Idea....if you're not going to fish it, get red lugs if you can find them.

Good Job!  It does take time.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

nelz

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 22, 2023, 10:56:09 AMYou didn't use the steel gears? Not gonna lie i deliberately put on the biggest knob I had in the bin. I had a bit of a laugh at the time.

The SS innards are destined for another reel.

As for the knob, ha-ha, my wife had a laugh too. So here they are side by side, the Tani 4/0 knob, the original handle & knob, and the MONSTER knob!

nelz

Quote from: Shellbelly on May 22, 2023, 07:21:45 PMThat's a nice reel!  Wait... where's the lugs?  Idea....if you're not going to fish it, get red lugs if you can find them.

Good Job!  It does take time.

Thanks guys.

I hate lugs, but I suppose red ones would be cool.  :d

Shellbelly

Quote from: nelz on May 22, 2023, 10:35:41 PMI hate lugs, but I suppose red ones would be cool.
More Ohana never hurts a reel!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

Quote from: nelz on May 22, 2023, 10:31:57 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 22, 2023, 10:56:09 AMYou didn't use the steel gears? Not gonna lie i deliberately put on the biggest knob I had in the bin. I had a bit of a laugh at the time.

The SS innards are destined for another reel.

As for the knob, ha-ha, my wife had a laugh too. So here they are side by side, the Tani 4/0 knob, the original handle & knob, and the MONSTER knob!

that monster knob looks nice sized for a 12/0 reel, the original handle/knob look cartoonish tiny on the big reel
The Baja Guy