What Knot To Use?

Started by Walleye Guy, May 21, 2023, 03:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Walleye Guy on May 31, 2023, 06:56:24 PMLooks like double-uni or albright for braid-to-braid.  For my own learning, what about mono to braid as in the case of using a monofilament backer on a baitcaster?  Is there a different knot for that situation?
Speaking only of personal opinion, double uni is the only knot I use for this. Diameter of the lines may determine how many loops I use, but it's always a double uni for this.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

mono same approximate diameter as braid -- uni/uni

mono much thicker than braid -- uni/uni, w/ doubled braid

mono much, MUCH thicker than braid -- some improved variation of Albright
(so the thick mono is merely doubled -- not, turned/knotted)

NOTE: that works fo lazy, impatient ME unwilling to try more complicated knots
...even more likely to "step up" to Improved Albright at home, rather than on the water

DougK

Quote from: Keta on May 21, 2023, 04:17:33 AMUni to uni is what I use.  I have not had problems using knots in braid to braid connections.

+1
mono to braid needs all kinds of fancy footwork and knotting, braid to braid I've never had a problem with basic uni to uni. I don't notice this at all on baitcasters, will eventually get irritated enough with the knot on a spinning reel, to spend the money for new braid..

mono to braid for heavier braid, 40lb and up, the FG knot which is a real bore to tie.
Uni-uni in this situation tests out very weak for me. I lost the only tarpon of my life to that knot, 50lb braid to 50lb fluoro leader, thought even if it was not a great knot surely I would not need the full 50lb, even a 60% knot would give me 30lb. But, turned out I did need better than that..

for my trout/bass braids, 0.6 PE about 8-12lb to 6lb fluoro, the Red Phillips knot is easier to tie than FG and tests well.

Finest Kind

Double uni for braids of similar diameter. Double-double uni for braids of widely different diameters. For ex: 30 to 60, double the 30 and make a five turn uni. Mono to braid, double-double uni, again with the braid doubled, not the mono. Braid to heavy mono or heavy fluorocarbon, FG knot.