Another Garage Sale Find

Started by Crab Pot, June 27, 2023, 02:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

Wife and I were out "sailing" as we like to call it when we rolled up on a house that had lots of pots for gardening. She likes gardening like we like fishing.

So I got out with her to see if anything caught my eye, and behind a bunch of other things I spot a green tackle box which was O-L-D.

Picked it up and it was pretty heavy, a Montgomery Ward Sprit King. Opened it up and looking back at me was three Creek Chub Bait Co. lure boxes and a black sided Penn reel and a bunch of other stuff. With my best poker face I asked how much?

$60 later I was the owner of what look like NOS C.C.B. Co. lures (one box was empty) a Penn 3/0 Senator, five huge NOS Super Duper lures and mix mash of everything else.

The C.C.B. Co. lures are models 3002 & 5531. Pike & Muskie.

The empty box was a model 550?.

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

Nice old box too!  Looks like a little bit of everything.  Nice!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crab Pot

If anyone could help me ID those Creek Chub lures I'd appreciate it.

The numbers on the end of the box don't match what my research is digging up.

Maybe a serial number???? 

ExcessiveAngler

Yupper doo! surely wouldn't of been able to walk away without at least trying lol!
Was that the only price or was there some negotiation lol?
The bright colored creek chub,  it's very hard to find new in the box like that!

But, now I see a new post saying that the numbers don't match the box?
Darn that stinks, but still a very nice find!
I'll see if I can find out anything for you

Crab Pot

Started at $100.

I'm not sure about the numbers, I can't find the exact numbers on the box online.

Series numbers maybe? I don't know.

Never been a lure collector and really don't need a new expensive hobby either.

Not really in to fresh water fishing anymore. Least not at this time.

foakes

If you click on Joe's Old Lures board —- you will get ID's very quickly by posting photos and asking for information.

Lots of reliable lure gurus over there.  Good members.  It is free, and Joe Yates runs a good site.

Let us know what you find out.  NFLCC & ORCA folks.

I have sold a lot of these with glass eyes.  I think these are 6" Jointed-Pikies.

One is of course — Red & White.  The other appears to be Rainbow Fire.

Here is the link:

http://www.joesoldlures.com/wwwboard/

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

I used to dabble in old lures and both those lures appear to have glass eyes. The smaller the pupil, the older the lure is. These also have "cup hardware" which refers to where the hooks attach to the body. Some of the boxes are sought after by collectors that already own the correct lure. These are likely 1920's-30's. I'm not up on current eBay prices, but for sure the boxes and lures should double your investment, and possibly more !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Jim Fujitani

Crab Pot

Pupils look like pupils to me, I have nothing to reference size.

They are both glass eyes though.

The Rainbow Fire one says Pikie on the front section.

Red & White one has nothing.

Also, most of the CCB lures I see online have text or numbers on the front metal bill. Both of mine have no writing whatsoever.

Thanks for the link foakes, it'll give me something to do this evening.

Crab Pot

Update on the 3/0 that was in the tackle box.

I took it apart today for a cleaning and didn't realize it's the older version of the 3/0 with the drag accessible from the outside of the reel.

Any idea of when the exterior drag 3/0's were made? (I did search the site and Googled it but couldn't find what I was looking for.)

The pictures show how clean it is. I'm just going to lube it up and put it on the shelf. 

Deepennz

Hi Crab Pot,
My 2 cents worth - (I have been known to be wrong!!)
The Penn 3/0 seems to be a bit of an enigma -I have a 1942/1st production year, and a 1946 3/0 that have the external drag system. Then, from what I can tell from my collection of 3/0's, Penn changed to the internal drag system for the late '40's, BUT then changed back to the external drag system in late 1949/50 when they also beefed up the spool arbor - like you I also have an external drag, partly numbered 3/0 that screams "1950"!!
I have no idea how long Penn then continued with external drag 3/0s after early 1950 - I am sure other members will add their observations.
Cheers
Martin

Crab Pot

Thanks Martin!

I was routing for the 1940's.