Travel Rods in a Canvas Carrying Bag - May 2023

Started by El Pescador, May 26, 2023, 12:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

I took some fishing ggear to the markets today, & I was talking to an English gentle man there, I had the 9M poll there && he said that they used to do a lot of poll fishing near Kent, in the channels over there, the channels are 10M wide, the fish they were after are called Roach, if they see a fish break the surface then they extend the poll, & drop the hook, in the area it is, he,said when they get a fish on they retract the poll to get the fish of, & some fisho`s could do that as quick as using a rod & reel, I really did not get enough time to talk to him, as I had customers wanting gear, & he moved on, I will try & you tube poll fishing & see how its done, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Watched a bit of youtube overnight, interesting, the poll they were using, actually comes apart about 3 M from the end, My poll wont do that, mind you if I play around with  the third poll that I have, that is not complete, I maybe able to get it to part, they were using a leader about, 15 M long, they also have a small basket that they place berly into  tip it out near the hook when it is in the water, not my way of fishing, when I mix burly, I make it very waterie & just tip a bit of water into the water, that way the fish dont get to full on the berly, but we all have different ideas, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

UKChris1

Bit late joining in, but Garbolino is a well-respected Italian firm that make what are known as poles or roach poles. They come in various lengths (some over 8 metres) and in strengths intended to catch tiddlers of an ounce up to carp well over 20lb! Very common in continental Europe for freshwater fishing.

Cheaper ones are telescopic and better ones have put-over joints.

For the small stuff, the line is attached directly to a loop at the very tip and it allows you to place your baited hook precisely where you want. For the big stuff, there is a length of strong elastic inside the pole and the line is connected to that. Again bait can be placed precisely and a large fish stretches the elastic before being kited back across the surface to the waiting net.

I've never used such a pole myself but freshwater match anglers find them indispensable.

But certainly not a tuna pole - wouldn't last a moment.