Travel Rods in a Canvas Carrying Bag - May 2023

Started by El Pescador, May 26, 2023, 12:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

Quote from: jurelometer on May 28, 2023, 05:21:29 AM
Quote from: philaroman on May 28, 2023, 05:04:19 AMprobably repurposed for carp, as the rest of the gear looks VERY CARPY  ;D
BUT, methinks them's tuna poles  :o  (does say "Tunny")
for smaller members of the family up to skipjack

https://www.msc.org/what-we-are-doing/our-approach/fishing-methods-and-gear-types/pole-and-line

That's a yellowfin flying through the air in that photo.  They have bait-polers like this in the Solomon Islands. Some seriously burly arms on those guys.  I always wanted to try this, but not as a full-time job. :)

-J

We have poling boats down here, is a slaughter when the fish are biting well and not a popular form of commercial fishing in the eyes of recreational anglers.
I have seen them in action a few times, the sprayers you see get the tuna exited and they come up to the surface to see what is making the foamy water.  The fishermen then just drop some very basic lure on top of the water and the fish eat it immediately and they lift the fish using the momentum and not allowing the fish to turn its head around.    Here they use bamboo poles with short, maybe 2 mt of fixed line.

Albacore also get caught like that.

Look on Youtube for videos....horrible.
Cornelis

jurelometer

Good story about the shearing Don.  I think a lot of folk don't realize the amount of hard physical labor that goes into some occupations like commercial fishing and ranch work. 

As commercial tuna fisheries go, pole fishing is not so destructive compared to long lines, drift nets, and purse seines.  As long as they don't net up a bunch of reef fish to supplement the sprayers.    It is a very selective fishery, next to zero bycatch.  Agree that the fishery still has to be properly managed and shared with the rec guys.

-J

Swami805

Those would also work for poke poleing. Very Low tide on the coast use a piece of wire with a baited hook tied to the end and poke it in the crevices in the rocks for cabezone, greenling and other rock fish on the west coast here
Do what you can with that you have where you are

El Pescador

Looks like a group effort, doesn't it???

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Looks good Wayne, I think the fish land on the deck, & as they wriggle around, they slide down & into a shoot, down into the ice storage area, I would think the workers would rotate, from the rods to other duties, to relieve the boredom, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Quote from: jurelometer on May 28, 2023, 06:36:49 PMGood story about the shearing Don.
-J

J-man!

I read this article on my news feed, about a Sheep to Shawl competition, you have 5 people, 1 sheep, and 3 hours

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/15/1176174760/sheep-shawl-fiber-art

And Don was so nice to send me his thoughts on this contest.

Thanks Wayne & Jennifer,

the young lady they filmed shearing, was quite good,

she has shorn a fare few sheep before,

the wool looks more like carpet wool than shall wool, carpet wool

if generally over 30 micron, a good wool for that purpose I would think,

about 23 micron, or about 20/21 micron for shirts or frocks,

& about 16 to 18 micron for suits, after you get the micron right,

then you look @ the vegetable matter,

high veg & lanolin the lower the yield of wool, then you look @ fibre strength,

to get a sheep with less lanolin, you would have to select a ewe, that is lactating,

that way all the grease would be going into the milk rather than the wool,

hope that helps,

cheers Don, keep well ay.

Either way, very interesting.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Gee Wayne I have to be careful, I tell someone on the other side of the world, about a subject, next thing its all over the world, ha ha your all most welcome, so if the yield is over 70% before scouring, & vegstible matter is removed, the farmer is managing his flock well, most wool is sold by the cleen Kg, or greasy, if your buying it greasy, then you have to know your stuff, & to get a good fibre strength, the animals, diet has to be getting 8% protien/day, that should yield you a 4 inch staple of wool, but if there is a sudden change in its diet, or bad water, that can cause a brake in the fibre, its not so bad if the break is @ one end or the other, but very bad if it is in the middle, as to comb the wool after scouring the staple has to be 2 1/4 inches long, So there you just cant, through the animal in the paddock & foreget about it. of course, there was a very wealthy man from Great Britton, that brought a farm in Australia, & imployed a manager to look after the property, & after shearing, the manager sent a message over to the owner, that the shearing went very well, & you got over fifty bails of wool, the owner sent back a message to commence shearing again, immidiantly, then there was a pastoralist, had some had a worker counting the sheep into the holding paddock before shearing, the owner said, how many sheep in the holding paddock Jackie, Jackie say plenty boss plenty, so the next day the boss was out there, watching the sheep being counted into the holding paddock, & jackie was there counting, nuder one, nuder one, nuder one, & so on, keep well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Donny - My sister has participated in "Sheep to Shawl" (not on the sheep side, but she can run a spinning wheel) and she told me that shearing a sheep is not like getting a haircut (basically clipping off chunks) but that the true artistry in sheep shearing was to buzz the sheep and end up with the bulk of the coat as an entire single chunk of wool? - john

Donnyboat

Yes John toby, the idea is to shear the sheep, without braking up the fleece much, then a good roustabout, can pickup the fleece, & they have to have the skill to through the fleece onto a wool table, the wool table is about 10 ft by 5 ft, with rods every 11/2 inches apart so that all the second cuts, drop through the rods onto the floor, then the short fibres around the fleece are shirted of, that leave all the long wool together, for spinning, when you pick the leece up from the shearer, you get hold of it with you index finger & thumb, then you flick it back, & pick the wrest up with the other 3 fingers, as you throw the fleece onto the table you hold onto it with 2 finger & let go with the other 3, & it should land on the table like a mat, try it with a sheet, see how you go with that cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Thanks for the explanation Don!  Now that I think about it, after what you say is done I am guessing a full trimmed fleece probably is not light?  What would a full one weigh?  I am only guessing but 10-15 kilos?  Not soething I would want to handle with only two fingers but I'm thinking they are mostly air? - john

Donnyboat

Yes John, a fully skirted fleece, marino, fleece, could be anything from 8 to 10 Kg, cross bred or english bred carpet wool sheep have a lot less fibres per quare inch, so they are a lot lighter, also in the summer when the sheep are walking a lot further to water, they have less grease, lanolin in the wool, so it is lighter, I did not explain the throwing of the fleece very good, so try it with a sheet, lay the sheet on the floor, then pick up the two corners furthest away from you with the index finger & thumb, now put both hands together, now bring that end back toward you, then pick up the wrest, with the other 3 fingers, now as you throw it away from you let go with the 3 fingers & hold on with the other 2, & it should lay out even on your bed, now tell me if your the makings of a good shedhand, or if you have to keep brewing,cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

A fleece can have about 10 differant grades of wool in it, the finest being along the edge of the belly, & the coarsest just above the tail, & the best average, if generally around the shoulder, that why people generally part the wool on the shoulder when inspecting sheep @ a show, now come on by onest, how did you all go throwing the sheet last night, gee I`d love to have been a fly on the wall, I bet there were some gigles, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Let's just say that SWMBO was not amused or happy with the condition of the bed, and I had to remake it conventionally with no help!  :D - john

Donnyboat

practice make perfect, I did`nt tell you the definition of a wool classer, wool binder & dag expert, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

I was listening to the radio, ABC in Western Australia, midday they have a country hour, all things farming & the daily rain fall, they reported the some were in WA, a farmer has produce a Marino fleece that averaged 9.8 micron, we really have moved of the original subject of fish on this post, if any of the moderators wish to split this post in half & move it to a different area , I wont be offended, when you said about your sister saying that the fleece has to be in one peice, that also meens that when the shearer shears the sheep, he has to stay on the skin with very few second cuts as possible, there is very little value of short wool, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat