Reel Took a Bath In Sand / Salt water

Started by hotajax, May 27, 2023, 03:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

I got knocked over by a rogue wave in the middle of a cast.  This reel has turned into a sand dispenser. 
To wash off the sand, I was thinking about putting the small parts in a food strainer, with grids big enough to let the sand out, but keep the clean parts inside.  Then dunking the whole mess in a tank of mineral spirits ( outdoors of course ). 

Any other ideas to get gross amounts of sand off out of the reel?  Thanks.

Do ultrasonic cleaners usually come with a strainer to lift out the clean parts and keep the crap in the bottom of the tank?

JasonGotaProblem

Put the disassembled parts in the strainer. Spray with a hose to get all the excess off. Then go from there.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

hotajax

foakes

Before I started using US cleaners exclusively for reel servicing and restoration —- I would disassemble everything —- clean with rinsing and toothbrushes in various cleaning solutions.  The process took hours —- and there was always a few hidden grains afterwards.

With a decent US cleaner —- using just (2) smaller containers inside the tub —- Dawn HD dish soap for any painted or plastic parts — and Lacquer Thinner for any SS, brass, bronze, steel, or aluminum parts —- the process is 100% —- and takes about 15 minutes, including rinsing and drying.

But I do a lot of reels —- and do not like part-way results —- and don't want to waste my time or efforts.

ALL of the grease, grime, crud, salt and sand must be removed one way or another.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

There is more than one way to skin a cat but a complete disassembly  with every part removed, cleaned and buffed/brushed is the only way to be sure your reel is as close to clean as humanly possible. You can do it as Fred suggested with a USC or you can do the process manually, part by part. Lacquer thinner soak is great for removing grease & oil but the warm water, Dawn & a tooth, or Flux, brush will get rid of the dirt & sand if you don't have a USC, as long as you are thorough.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

hotajax

Quote from: foakes on May 27, 2023, 04:52:06 PMBefore I started using US cleaners exclusively for reel servicing and restoration —- I would disassemble everything —- clean with rinsing and toothbrushes in various cleaning solutions.  The process took hours —- and there was always a few hidden grains afterwards.

With a decent US cleaner —- using just (2) smaller containers inside the tub —- Dawn HD dish soap for any painted or plastic parts — and Lacquer Thinner for any SS, brass, bronze, steel, or aluminum parts —- the process is 100% —- and takes about 15 minutes, including rinsing and drying.

But I do a lot of reels —- and do not like part-way results —- and don't want to waste my time or efforts.

ALL of the grease, grime, crud, salt and sand must be removed one way or another.

Best, Fred
Fred:  Puzzled.  I thought they all had one basket.  I'm soaking twice?  Whatever it takes.  Thanks.

Will mineral spirits remove the black finish from Penn Spinfishers?

foakes

Quote from: hotajax on May 27, 2023, 11:17:48 PM
Quote from: foakes on May 27, 2023, 04:52:06 PMBefore I started using US cleaners exclusively for reel servicing and restoration —- I would disassemble everything —- clean with rinsing and toothbrushes in various cleaning solutions.  The process took hours —- and there was always a few hidden grains afterwards.

Best, Fred
Fred:  Puzzled.  I thought they all had one basket.  I'm soaking twice?  Whatever it takes.  Thanks.

I fill the US cleaner reservoir with water —

Then use wide-mouth jars for the parts.

Dawn HD goes in one —- plastic or glass —- for plastic, painted, or anodized parts.

Lacquer Thinner goes in only a GLASS wide-mouth jar —- for SS, Steel, bronze, brass, or bare aluminum parts.

I do not use the heat setting.

When done —- just pour the solutions into another container —-

Then water rinse the parts —- and just pour them out onto a tray with a paper towel.

Dry the parts —- burnish and polish as necessary for best and smoothest operation.

Particularly any friction parts such as the spool shaft, inside the worm-pinion gear, etc.

Mineral Spirits are fairly gentle —- but could either dull the black paint —- or soften and allow it to come off.

There are lots of ways to use a US cleaner —- this is my procedure on nearly all reels I work on.

Quick, simple, effective.  No fancy or expensive solutions.

US cleaners do come with baskets.  But the cleanup, as well as the mess and wasted cleaning solution is not for me.

I can do one reel after another in a fairly smooth assembly line operation.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

hotajax

Quote from: foakes on May 27, 2023, 11:56:46 PM

Best, Fred

Dawn HD goes in one —- plastic or glass —- for plastic, painted, or anodized parts.

Lacquer Thinner goes in only a GLASS wide-mouth jar —- for SS, Steel, bronze, brass, or bare aluminum parts.

Then water rinse the parts —- and just pour them out onto a tray with a paper towel.

Dry the parts —- burnish and polish as necessary for best and smoothest operation.

Particularly any friction parts such as the spool shaft, inside the worm-pinion gear, etc.

Mineral Spirits are fairly gentle —- but could either dull the black paint —- or soften and allow it to come off.

There are lots of ways to use a US cleaner —- this is my procedure on nearly all reels I work on.

US cleaners do come with baskets.  But the cleanup, as well as the mess and wasted cleaning solution is not for me.

Best, Fred
Fred:  The detailed procedures much appreciated.  I'll be getting the US cleaner.  Also hearing good things about those "citrus" degreasing solutions, too.  Take it easy.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: hotajax on May 28, 2023, 01:02:34 PMFred:  The detailed procedures much appreciated.  I'll be getting the US cleaner.  Also hearing good things about those "citrus" degreasing solutions, too.  Take it easy.

You would be better off foregoing the "citrus degreasing solutions" for any painted or plastic parts and opt for Original White Goop. You don't have to be as careful with Original White Goop since it won't harm painted or plastic surfaces. Citrus cleaners can  be really harsh and ruin paint & plastics. As you can see, I'm not a fan of any citrus cleaner and would never use them on anything.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Keta

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 28, 2023, 04:05:05 PM....would never use them on anything.

I like to use them for removing nasty dirty oil and grease from my hands.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Donnyboat

Another good way of cleaning parts, mentioned on the forum here a couple of times, is to clip your smaller parts into a Stainless steel tea strainer, that would work good placed into a cleaner, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

hotajax

JasonGotaProblem

Just look at the spool lip. Make sure it didn't get scratched. That's the worst.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

hotajax

Quote from: foakes on May 27, 2023, 11:56:46 PM

Best, Fred

Best, Fred
Fred:  Got the pics now, thanks a lot.  Much appreciated.