16 Pound Brown Trout Caught at Huntington Lake

Started by foakes, May 30, 2023, 02:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Huntington is a lake about 25 miles above us at 7000'.

One of our neighbors caught a monster Brown.

Best, Fred

Tim Young of the Shaver Lake Trophy Trout Project related the story of a huge brown trout at nearly 16 pounds caught by a team effort by Larry Reed of Auberry, 6-year-old grandson Noah and daughter Ericka. Young said, "He just threw a nightcrawler out while beached cooking hot dogs for the kids. He saw the line moving out and started reeling it as he felt it was of good size, but not that big. Reed handed the rig to Noah, and he worked it for around a dozen minutes as it kept taking line before making some ground. Noah got tired, and the fish was heading toward a submerged tree. Reed had to take over again, and after another 10-plus minutes, he finally got it to the boat. Ericka tried to net it and broke the net so she jumped in the water like Steve Erwin on the back of a croc and brought it to shore. Unfortunately, the old female brown couldn't recover to be released."
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Fred,

16 lbs. is a MONSTER Brown Trout,

any measurements???  Lenght & Girth???

Photos???

That's a BIG ONE.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Cor

That sounds like some trophy fish, sure don't get that big here!
Cornelis

Midway Tommy

Too bad it died!  :( It's always nice to turn those big growth genetics back to produce some more biguns'.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

sciaenops

Donnyboat

Yes great for the father,  very good memories for the children, as they were involved,  they sure will never forget, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Quote from: El Pescador on May 30, 2023, 05:50:59 PMFred,

16 lbs. is a MONSTER Brown Trout,

any measurements???  Lenght & Girth???

Photos???

That's a BIG ONE.

Wayne

If photos become available, I will post them, Wayne —-

This is just the blurb in our local Fresno Bee newspaper this morning. They showed a photo of a large brown —- but it was just a file copy.

I am generally very happy with 2-3 pounders, the occasional 5 pounder, and then a little remote lake in the Sierras that produces 5-6 pound Rainbows.  But that is a 11 mile hike one-way.  Plus, due to the Creek Fire nearly 3 years ago —- they closed nearly all of the roads and backcountry trails.  It will need to talk to someone to get access, if possible.  If not —- I will likely just go anyway.

Largest Brown I ever caught was a male at 12.2 pounds and 30".  This was also Huntington Lake, from the shore, 12/22/92.

DQ Microlite 265 with 4 lb. test, a 6' Fenwick glass rod, and a Nightcrawler.

Pure luck.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Fred,

I have MUCH to learn from you!!!

My largest CAUGHT Brown Trout was 23".

Caught on the East fork of the Walker River, downstream of Bridgeport, CA.

Drive to the CA/NV border and the private waters of Sceirine Ranch.  A 4th generation working cattle ranch boarding the CA/NV border and 4 miles of the East fork of the Walker River.  NO MORE than 4 anglers per day on this stretch of river.

Late in the day, I was alone and trying to be the angler and the photographer.  The Sun set 10 minutes later.

What a place, I should post about these private fishing waters sometimes....

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

jgp12000

If the fish died I would have to mount this is a trophy and most taxidermists will save the meat for you.I have had a LMB and crappie mounted in the past.I have caught bigger ones since,but at the time they were my personal best. Now I just take pictures unless I had the catch of a lifetime.I would mount any the grandchildren wanted to mount, but it's a personal choice.I don't like to kill anything unless I am going to eat it or safety of life.

Crab Pot

Came in first place in the "Jake on the Lake" tournament on Lake Tahoe back in 201.....?'ish

It was "only" 9 pounds and it was huge, $500 fish!

Couldn't I'm imagine a 16 pounder.

"The Jake" as it's called by the locals was also a Rainbow and Mackinaw tourney.

There were some 30 pound plus Mac's in the weigh in line. 
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Gfish

It's a Rainbow KC. I read the comments, most seemed pretty "cheeky"(is that the right English expression and spelling?).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

I`ll sorry , but my reading comprehension got in the way of a good fish story
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

redsetta

We get some monster trout down here in NZ too - ironically descended from Californian steelhead/rainbow stock released in the 1880s.
The biggest are around the Tekapo/Twizel region, eg:

24lb and released to fight another day...
Hope you're all keeping well.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

BocaSnook1