Fathom II 60NLD2 Loss of free spool

Started by Bill B, June 02, 2023, 05:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunanorth

Quote from: Bill B on June 05, 2023, 10:56:51 PMGot my 60N into the mail system today... Steve can you put a good word in for me and have a few stickers placed in the return box 😉. Bill

Ha-Ha, dropping Alan's name is a better idea than dropping mine; everybody loves him!
I tend to be looked at as a rabble-rouser.

Mickeyfin

Another unlucky owner here. I brought the reel to my friend last week to mark the spectra.  Something seemed wrong. At home I started playing with drag settings and discovered there was no free spool. Called Penn but there were 40 peeps waiting to speak ahead of me. The website seemed to indicate I need a ref# before shipping so I emailed them. 
Is that correct?
Please advise.
I'd like to have the reel back for an upcoming trip 6/19 with Alan

Thanks,

Bill B

I hope it's not required. I just printed the repair form, included my purchase receipt and mailed it in.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tunanorth

Quote from: Bill B on June 06, 2023, 04:33:58 PMI hope it's not required. I just printed the repair form, included my purchase receipt and mailed it in.  Bill

Not required, but be sure to include a letter describing the exact issue you are experiencing, just saying "doesn't work" is not enough.

Bill B

I printed/ filled out the repair form, copied the sales receipt, and put both in the box.  I hope four months is long enough to get it back so I can take it on the AT.com 8 day in October.  😎. Bill

Tunanorth

Quote from: Bill B on June 07, 2023, 01:55:01 PMI printed/ filled out the repair form, copied the sales receipt, and put both in the box.  I hope four months is long enough to get it back so I can take it on the AT.com 8 day in October.  😎. Bill

Of course this is the super-busy time of year, but you should be fine.

Bill B

Today I called customer service to see if there was an update on the reel.  According to the automated response the wait time to speak to a representative was 3,223 minutes 🤣🤣🤣. I elected to have them call me back in 6.71 days 😆. Bill

Keta

At least you could easily find a phone number and they gave you the call back option, unlike Let's Go Lorance.  Hours on hold, get a person that would not listen and barely spoke English and then was told they do not service 5 year old $1200 chartplotters.  Kind of like Shimano.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Just received a reply from the one and only Tony from Penn...Thank you Tony for the quick investigation and reply!

Hey Bill.

Sorry for the delay.  Reel was wrapped up a few days ago, scheduled for delivery Monday.  Tracking UPS 1Z8429A20341452877.  Not all Fathom's have an issue with the handle, so looking at the order it doesn't appear the handle was replaced.  We also just go replacement handles in today, so if you are in need of one send me a note and I will have a replacement handle sent out right away.  tony

Bill B

Well just as Tony promised the 60 N arrived today. I have to give it to Penn, whoever did the packing of the reel for the return trip didn't waste the packing material.  You would have thought he/she was packing a Faberge Egg!  You need to give classes on how to package. Well done. 

I couldn't wait to put it on the bench to map out the drag.  With 25# at strike freespool was amazing.  My scale tops out at 25# so I couldn't get a full drag reading, but safe to say I won't be using it. The curve starts out a little slow but is an easy progression to strike. 

Tony did offer a new updated handle if the original becomes a problem.  We will wait and see. 

There is a reason Penn is the leader in fishing tackle, customer service is one of the reasons (if you know the right people).  Thank you Penn and Tony.  Now I just have to wait until October to put it to the test.

Bill

foakes

All kidding aside, you can't beat Tony, and the folks in the Service Department at Penn.  Tony is an invaluable asset to Penn —- and a solid guy.

Many times, Tony has helped me out.

Lee needed some special obsolete copper springs for Penn Mariners.

Emailed Tony —- he had his techs look through all of the bins of obsolete but good parts.  He came up with a dozen.  He sent them to me overnight mail at no charge.  They were on my porch the following day —- and we live in a remote mountain area. I sent them to Lee.

We are fortunate to have someone of his caliber who is so knowledgeable and service-oriented as a member of our group.

I don't take Penn or Tony for granted.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Very rare and imposable to find 349 AR springs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain