Atmospheric pressure and bite activity

Started by JasonGotaProblem, June 02, 2023, 05:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Ok I fish any day,,,,, ;) but there's different ones,,,, >:( bad one's is the air temperature drops and the worst thing is polushion coming down the river  or in Florida it's red sea,,,,, ;D

jurelometer

I think that the observation of atmospheric pressure changes in relation to redfish spawning in captivity that Steve mentioned was probably a red herring.  I did a bit of reading on redfish aquaculture.  It looks to me like they do it with just light and temperature.  No air pressure changes needed.  Here is a good quick overview from the UN Food and Agriculture Organization:

Techniques for year-round spawning are well established for this species. A 120 day photoperiod and temperature regime can be used for spawning red drum in captivity. Broodstock are initially acclimated to a temperature of 17 °C and a photoperiod of 9 hours light (HL) which simulates winter conditions for naturally occurring adults. Following the acclimation of the adults, temperature and photoperiod are gradually increased and subsequently decreased over a period of 120 days.

Following initial conditioning of the broodstock, controlled spawning may be achieved throughout the year by manipulations in temperature. For example, spawning may be temporarily suspended when the water temperature drops below 23 °C and resumed once the temperature is raised beyond 23 °C. Red drum usually spawn just after the lights turn off in the evening.

Source: https://www.fao.org/fishery/docs/DOCUMENT/aquaculture/CulturedSpecies/file/en/en_reddrum.htm

I am still a hard nope on atmospheric pressure change alone having a direct effect on fish behavior, but am softening up quite a bit the full moon thing.  Had the time to do a bit of reading, and the subject turned out to be much more nuanced than I anticipated.  But as to be expected, the stuff in the fishing press on this topic is mostly nonsense.

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Re: full moon. Snook only spawn during outgoing tide on a full moon. The females will go to inlets and orient themselves facing inland tail pointed out to sea. The males then headbutt them in the belly to make eggs squirt out so they can try to fertilize them on their way out to sea.

Super romantic. But that's why they go out of season over the summer. Their behavior is so predictable that it's just too easy.

Full moon this weekend. Unsurprisingly fishing far from any inlet there wasn't a single big snook to be found.  Forgive me for being so Florida-centric in my fish stories.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Brewcrafter

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 05, 2023, 01:55:10 AMSuper romantic. But that's why they go out of season over the summer. Their behavior is so predictable that it's just too easy.
Very similar to Grunion here on the Left Coast.  Grunion runs (spawning) are very predictable with high tide and full moon, and during a certain time of year they are a closed season.  Other times of the year you are allowed to take but the only equipment allowed is your own two hands. - john

jurelometer

Quote from: Brewcrafter on June 05, 2023, 02:06:18 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 05, 2023, 01:55:10 AMSuper romantic. But that's why they go out of season over the summer. Their behavior is so predictable that it's just too easy.
Very similar to Grunion here on the Left Coast.  Grunion runs (spawning) are very predictable with high tide and full moon, and during a certain time of year they are a closed season.  Other times of the year you are allowed to take but the only equipment allowed is your own two hands. - john

Down in Baja the spring there are these giant aggregations by species of groupers,jacks, snappers, etc.  Starts right around a week or two before the full moon. The actual spawning sites are closed (year round) in a few locations, which is mostly a good thing if you ask me.

About a month ago, I was fishing the shallows and couldn't buy a bite for hours.  Figured there wasn't a fish in the area.  Then all of a sudden a tight school of humongous dog snapper started milling around on the surface nearby.  Less than a minute later a tight school of big amberjack ambled by, right under the boat.  I could get fish from both schools to sniff at the fly, but that was it.  They were slightly more interested in the unhooked live bait we tossed out, and ate a couple. 

Probably just as well.  I had a chance with the amberjack, but if one of those dog snapper took the fly, I would have been sawed off over a rock in about 0.5 seconds.

It was around a week before the full moon.  If I stayed home because of the moon phase, I would have missed the experience, which was pretty cool and didn't require catching any fish.

It would be fun to see the snook and grunion spawning.

We should start another thread on the full moon thing.

-J

Gfish

Lunar phase, photo period, I'll toss in water temp. too. Maybe all these are species oriented and possibly also a regional thing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Water pressure doubles every 33', a major change in air pressure is not noticeable underwater. 

Light penitration has more effect than air pressure.  Fish can not close their eyes so they go deeper when it is bright.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jurelometer

Quote from: Keta on June 05, 2023, 03:55:01 AMWater pressure doubles every 33', a major change in air pressure is not noticeable underwater. 

Yeah, and a drop in barometric pressure ain't major.  I don't know how many times we need to repeat this before it sinks in :) An incoming storm changes the pressure on the the fish the same amount as a vertical move of two inches or so, or a little ripple on the surface of the water. 

QuoteLight penitration has more effect than air pressure.

Fish can not close their eyes so they go deeper when it is bright.

And almost all fish can't dilate the pupil to control light intake level like us humans do (sharks are the exception).  Some species can adjust the rod/cone layout in the eyes for night vision, but it takes hours, and is based on time of day and not currently available light.

Lots of environmental factors can effect fish behavior, but I am not sure it will all fit in one thread.

I'm going to start another thread on the full moon thing.

-J