Saltist 50

Started by borntofish, July 07, 2023, 10:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borntofish

I'm scratching my head over this one. I have reassembled my Saltist 50 (one of the older silver ones) after cleaning the drag washers. Everything seems to go back together alright but the handle is hard to turn when I do the star drag up. I have stripped down many star drag overheads but have never run across this. I have looked a several online tutorial as well and can't see where I have gone wrong. Any ideas?

nelz

The drag stack may be sitting too low. This makes the star press against the sideplate when it's tightened, thus causing the issue you described.

Just a guess! :cf

ExcessiveAngler

Anymore, when I take apart a Reel, I always take pictures to refer to now!
Sometimes, I get overconfident and say I'll remember, I've done this 50 times and boom all the sudden, I run into a problem!
That's when I have to go find a video somewhere and watch it a few times lol!
I usually try to tough it out, before I ask for help, because I'm a hardhead lol!
Sometimes the problem is so easy, and it's right in front of you and and I keep overlooking it because I am extremely flustered because of something easy, I'm overlooking!
Usually, I have to tear the damn things down, two or three times before I can figure it out!
I just know that stupid click collar that sits under the star drag for the clicker can cause a problem sometimes!

borntofish

Quote from: nelz on July 07, 2023, 02:29:55 PMThe drag stack may be sitting too low. This makes the star press against the sideplate when it's tightened, thus causing the issue you described.

Seems plausible - but why would it be sitting too low? I kept the original washers and double checked everything.

borntofish

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on July 07, 2023, 07:33:51 PMAnymore, when I take apart a Reel, I always take pictures to refer to now!
Sometimes, I get overconfident and say I'll remember, I've done this 50 times and boom all the sudden, I run into a problem!
That's when I have to go find a video somewhere and watch it a few times lol!
I usually try to tough it out, before I ask for help, because I'm a hardhead lol!
Sometimes the problem is so easy, and it's right in front of you and and I keep overlooking it because I am extremely flustered because of something easy, I'm overlooking!
Usually, I have to tear the damn things down, two or three times before I can figure it out!
I just know that stupid click collar that sits under the star drag for the clicker can cause a problem sometimes!

Yes I took a photo and looked at some online tutorials and I can't find anything wrong. I don't mind crowdsourcing for help. The only other thing I can think of is that I had to drill out a screw and damaged the side plate in the process. I built it up with JB weld - perhaps it is rubbing against something?

borntofish

Quote from: nelz on July 07, 2023, 02:29:55 PMThe drag stack may be sitting too low. This makes the star press against the sideplate when it's tightened, thus causing the issue you described.

Good tip - it got me thinking. I changed the 2 spring washers to a )( configuration and this helped a bit. It looks like I am missing the bearing washer that sits below them, looking at the parts diagram. It's not in the photo I took but perhaps I dropped it.

nelz

Quote from: borntofish on July 08, 2023, 12:39:29 AM

Good tip - it got me thinking. I changed the 2 spring washers to a )( configuration and this helped a bit. It looks like I am missing the bearing washer that sits below them, looking at the parts diagram. It's not in the photo I took but perhaps I dropped it.

If that helped you might want to add another spring washer. Keep us posted...

borntofish

Quote from: nelz on July 08, 2023, 05:54:37 AM
Quote from: borntofish on July 08, 2023, 12:39:29 AM

If that helped you might want to add another spring washer. Keep us posted...

I ordered the bearing washer from Daiwa - yet to hear back. It looks like parts are hard to get. I needed some screws for the side plate, but they were no longer in stock. I got some aftermarket ones which are actually better (harder to damage or strip).

Hamachi

I'm thinking this sounds like the "c" clip that holds the gear sleeve on, but I'm always wrong...
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

borntofish

Quote from: Hamachi on July 08, 2023, 05:03:42 PMI'm thinking this sounds like the "c" clip that holds the gear sleeve on, but I'm always wrong...

I didn't see any c clip when I dismantled it. Not in the tutorials or parts diagram as far as I recall.

Also it doesn't seem to be bearing washer either. I swapped the washer in the click assembly and no difference (I think this was the way it was assembled). I also tried a spare washer I have which is about the right size.

borntofish

All good now. I had a light bulb moment and tried revering the collar that sits on top of the drag stack. It looks like it could go on either way from the outside but is not symmetrical on the inside.