Any tips on how to fix wobble on the handle?

Started by SevenYearsDown, August 12, 2023, 06:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

I have a sealine 20 that I have had for a while and I decided to replace the drags with CF drags. Before replacing it and opening it up, the handle had no wobble and it was pretty smooth. Replaced the drags, followed the schematic on which goes back where, and now the handle has a slight wobble. Not noticeable when reeling fast, but I can move the handle left and right a bit. I do not remember it being like this before.

Any tips or ideas on what to check? I will go back to it again later to double check. Thank you.

Porthos

Assumption: the drag washers were the only structural change, and you had no "leftover" parts.

What was the drag stack height before and after? If there was no wobble before, disassemble to compare. Would guess the factor washers will stack higher than the CF. The definitive test would be swapping the CF out and putting the factory ones back in and checking...

SevenYearsDown

Quote from: Porthos on August 12, 2023, 07:01:18 PMAssumption: the drag washers were the only structural change, and you had no "leftover" parts.

What was the drag stack height before and after? If there was no wobble before, disassemble to compare. Would guess the factor washers will stack higher than the CF. The definitive test would be swapping the CF out and putting the factory ones back in and checking...

Swapped back the old washers and you guessed it, no wobble. So weird, I have a few sealines with CF drags and none of them wobbled.

thorhammer

Add a thin carbontex to the stack or under gear and see if that takes the play out.

Porthos

Double up the CF washers starting with the bottom one, and then the middle one (which is the most that I've seen needed), and then the top one if absolutely required. The alternative to doubling up the top CF is to leave it as one, but then add a delrin washer between the top METAL washer and the barrel spacer.

JasonGotaProblem

Can I ask a really dumb question?

Are you sure you had the handle nut tightened all the way down? The handle stops on a lip. Stack height shouldnt affect that.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.