Just checking in

Started by wascallywabit, February 29, 2012, 06:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wascallywabit

I've been lurking around this site for about six months or so and thought I'd better register already.

So far I've serviced and rebuilt all my own reels plus plus my buddies reels. Everything from,Penns to Shimanos to Okumas. Leverdrags and star drags. Couple dozen so far. Never thought that all this was doable. To most guys, opening up a reel is as scary as opening Pandoras Box. All I can say is thanks to Alan and everybody else for showing people like me the way. I'm kind of addicted now and disappointed that I'm running out of reels to open up!

Thanks again,  Ed

Keta

Hi Ed.

You can always re rebuild them when you run out of reels.  I have a few reels I should replace the screws with zippers.

I live in a small town that has grown (65,000 people in our 100x150 mile county)  but it is still small and word of mouth is the best advertising.  People occasioaly drop by and ask me if I can fix their "large reel", large like a Penn 209 we are in trout country.  A few times a year someone shows up and gives me old "trash" reels, including my first Jigmaster 500.   At times when I run out of real work I have to beg friends to let me upgrade their reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wascallywabit

I have a feeling that my experiences will be similiar. In fact my friend just gave me a 500 and a 505HS that have been laying around for years. Just finished the 500 last night. Lots of corrosion in that one but after a good cleaning and a new drag stack it turned out real nice. Can't wait to see what's next.

Ed

kamuwela

hey ed thanks for joining us here at alans play house.

alantani

your buddies are at least giving you a 6-pack for your trouble, right?   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Hi Ed. Glad you're no longer lurking. :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Ed, we're one big magnet, Eventually we'll pull everyone in ;) Welcome!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Welcome Ed.  Isn't this fun, adicting, and it's even better with the quality of guys and gals on this site. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wascallywabit

Quote from: alantani on February 29, 2012, 10:42:10 PM
your buddies are at least giving you a 6-pack for your trouble, right?   ;D

They know I drink vodka but I haven't seen any Grey Goose yet!!  ;D
All kidding aside, you guys really have a great group here. The info and feedback are terrific.
I'll try to lurk less and contribute more.

Ed