Fully Ceramic Line Roller Bearings Observations

Started by Fisherman2, June 05, 2023, 12:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Fisherman2 on June 08, 2023, 06:44:08 AM[

If you're willing, get a cheap ceramic bearing online just to have a inspection of them and see what you think, should be only $10
I actually have them in two builds, both 113H that I went full overboard on (other links here in the forum).  My thought at the time was that I was actually going to build a narrow (and later an Xtra narrow) 113H that I could use for casting to yellowtail.  Except for the fact that my casting leaves a lot to be desired, and that is something that expensive bearings won't fix.  But at that point in my reel building I was going to throw everything at a project; and ceramics were part of that equation (hey, they will make me a great caster, right?).  Other decisions I made (that I have admitted having misgivings on the weekend Zoom calls) is that I went with SS 10 tooth sleeves; if I had to do it all over again with the double dog setup I would have 8 tooth - but hey - I'm still learning.  Anyhow, both of these reels have multiple seasons without full teardowns, and are still operating like they day they were built (I have gotten "better" at casting - I bought a Lexa  :D )  seriously, I can actually get a decent flip out of them now.  Do the ceramics make a difference in casting?  For me, I doubt it.  Have they operated flawlessly under tough conditions for seasons?  Definitely.  I am not going to dive into a cost/benefit analysis because you could literally buy a new two speed for what either of these reels has cost, but I am not one to malign ceramics "just because".  Hey, if it ain't broke.... - john

Fisherman2

Quote from: Brewcrafter on June 09, 2023, 06:13:03 AM
Quote from: Fisherman2 on June 08, 2023, 06:44:08 AM[

If you're willing, get a cheap ceramic bearing online just to have a inspection of them and see what you think, should be only $10
I actually have them in two builds, both 113H that I went full overboard on (other links here in the forum).  My thought at the time was that I was actually going to build a narrow (and later an Xtra narrow) 113H that I could use for casting to yellowtail.  Except for the fact that my casting leaves a lot to be desired, and that is something that expensive bearings won't fix.  But at that point in my reel building I was going to throw everything at a project; and ceramics were part of that equation (hey, they will make me a great caster, right?).  Other decisions I made (that I have admitted having misgivings on the weekend Zoom calls) is that I went with SS 10 tooth sleeves; if I had to do it all over again with the double dog setup I would have 8 tooth - but hey - I'm still learning.  Anyhow, both of these reels have multiple seasons without full teardowns, and are still operating like they day they were built (I have gotten "better" at casting - I bought a Lexa  :D )  seriously, I can actually get a decent flip out of them now.  Do the ceramics make a difference in casting?  For me, I doubt it.  Have they operated flawlessly under tough conditions for seasons?  Definitely.  I am not going to dive into a cost/benefit analysis because you could literally buy a new two speed for what either of these reels has cost, but I am not one to malign ceramics "just because".  Hey, if it ain't broke.... - john

I purely use spinning reels, so in regards to casting distance, I doubt it with spinners.

However I think the benefits of ceramic bearings are just survivability and responsiveness.

If you're worried about casting distance I'd suggest adopting super thing braids like Shimano Ocea and YGK Full drag, along with a bionic finger.

- charlie

jurelometer

Fisherman2

jurelometer

The difference in rolling resistance of the two bearing types is astonishingly low (try turning them standalone).  Maybe you improved something else as part of cleaning and reassembly?

I do agree that you have addressed the bearing corrosion problem. 

BTW, from what I have read, cheap ceramic bearings often have worse rolling resistance than decent stainless.  Maybe not an issue for things like spinning reel line rollers where you just need to prevent corrosion, but worth keeping in mind for spool bearings on a conventional casting reel.

-J

Fisherman2

Quote from: jurelometer on June 29, 2023, 06:04:04 AMThe difference in rolling resistance of the two bearing types is astonishingly low (try turning them standalone).  Maybe you improved something else as part of cleaning and reassembly?

I do agree that you have addressed the bearing corrosion problem. 

BTW, from what I have read, cheap ceramic bearings often have worse rolling resistance than decent stainless.  Maybe not an issue for things like spinning reel line rollers where you just need to prevent corrosion, but worth keeping in mind for spool bearings on a conventional casting reel.

-J

When I compare them with the stock Saragosa SS bearings, I am feeling far less resistance and they're brand new

philaroman

your ceramic is dry -- correct?  stock steel Shimano is lubed (and NOT that lightly, either)
you're comparing apples to apples, but one's coated w/ apple butter & won't roll downhill as easily
;D ;D ;D