Main Menu

Tuna candy!

Started by pjstevko, June 05, 2023, 04:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Gonna make some tuna candy! Belly chunks are marinating.....

David Hall

ooh thats gonna be good.

Hardy Boy

Love tuna and salmon Candy. Looking good.

Todd
Todd

pjstevko

Drying the chunks to develop the pellicle skin which is what absorbs the smoke....

pjstevko

Just pulled off the smoker!

thorhammer

Full recipe, please. As a general statement, to me the guys on the left Coast do a better job of using harvested meat- errybody down here gets fixated on a filet and discard the rest, even on panfish where I'd cook it bone in anyway. I'm trying learn 'em on grouper cheeks etc. but it's a hard sell. So I keep 'em all for me :)

I at least try to keep belly meat on smaller fish and vacuum seal for bait strips. Best flounder bait I used was bluefish belly strips.

pjstevko

Don't tell them about grouper cheeks then they'll always wanted and there won't be any left for you! I love cheeks, super sweet meat!

I also used to fry up the ribs from larger grouper as a tasty treat. It's the chicken wing on the Sea!

Cor

Cornelis

pjstevko

I started out the New Year by firing up the smoker and making some tuna candy. Brined the tuna bellies for 12 hours, dried them under a fan for 3 hours then a nice low and slow smoke for 2-3 hours. Turned out TASTY!!!!!!

Crab Pot

OMG those look awesome PJ!
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Brewcrafter

Those look nice! - john

sciaenops

I'll send you my address

Bryan Young

Wow, wanna trade for jump ring brazing kit?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D