do i want a roller tip on my rod?

Started by Hankzudd, June 08, 2023, 02:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankzudd

just got back from first red snapper trip of the year (Pt Aransas, Tx) & got two totaling 29 lbs (before cleaning) biggest was around 18lbs.

used my recently serviced (thanks to y'all) 113HZ w/50LB Big Game;
boat was rigging 12 oz (weight on bottom) w/one #5 circle hook w/squid.

rod is 7' re-wrapped blank suitable for the reel & string i was using; got it from a gent in St Pete that sells on Facebook Mktplace, so i'm really not sure of the blank or power, but it hauled them donkeys up real good. fish were caught in depths ranging from 100-50 ft.

50 folks on the boat;  we got +20 over 15 lbs. & otherwise limited out. largest fish is 3rd from end & probably pushed 25 lbs. easy

going to use this setup on future tuna trips in the gulf, plus more snapper trips. would a roller guide on the tip help? (already getting power handle to replace factory setup)

what size AFTCO standard roller tip would i need if the diameter near the existing tip guide is 0.145"?
not going to replace any other guides, so i'm not sure if it's a good idea.  thanks

MarkT

I'd stick with a ring guide. It has a ceramic ring? If so, you're good to go. All my rods have ring guides except a couple of older trolling rods with rollers.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Brewcrafter

I'm with Mark X2 - I have plenty of roller tipped rods that I used "back in the day".  And...they stay in the rack.  You just had a killer trip - no need to change anything! - john

Hankzudd

thanks. i fished out of San Diego alot when i lived there; fat snappers are nice, but nothing
like a hot yellowtail bite from under a 10' diameter kelp paddy,,,,

Swami805

Ceramic ring is the way to go. The tip tube size is measured in MM
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Personally, I like rollers tips but it takes a little more maintenance.  the tip seems to have the most pressure than the other guides and a roller tip seems to make it easier in cranking in a fish as its almost no friction at the tip.  With that said, most of my rods still have ceramic ringed tips and plan to change them out to rollers when they get damaged.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

boon

I use them for two applications... trolling and electric reels for deep dropping, with a swivel tip in that instance.

Other than that, they add a whole lot of maintenance for zero performance gain over a high quality (SiC or similar) ring.