Fishing Gear and Health Risks

Started by Barishi, June 09, 2023, 12:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

WELL, Well, well... plenty of toxic exposure experts here. "Oh please tell me(Gfish) how to live my life so I don't suffer and die from poisoning myself"! All this time and I never knew it could be so simple; just don't think/worry about it.

Asbestos kinda sucks for drag washers, compared to carbon fiber. Can the spool be opened-up for washer replacement? If not, I'd try and get as much grease on 'em as possible.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

Quote from: Barishi on June 10, 2023, 02:09:35 PMLead in the paint
Lead in the makeup
Asbestos in the walls
In the pipes, the cars
CFCs in the sprays
Arsenic in the glue
Mercury in the toys

What a time to be alive.
To be fair though, no exposure beats not enough exposure.

AND we had lawn darts!  :o  AND we juggled 'em on playgrounds that
were concrete/steel gauntlets, rather than rubberized coddling stations
I think there was a special, extra-hard/abrasive grade of concrete
reserved for use under swings & monkey bars   ;D ;D ;D

Barishi

Quote from: philaroman on June 10, 2023, 03:36:41 PM
Quote from: Barishi on June 10, 2023, 02:09:35 PMLead in the paint
Lead in the makeup
Asbestos in the walls
In the pipes, the cars
CFCs in the sprays
Arsenic in the glue
Mercury in the toys

What a time to be alive.
To be fair though, no exposure beats not enough exposure.

AND we had lawn darts!  :o  AND we juggled 'em on playgrounds that
were concrete/steel gauntlets, rather than rubberized coddling stations
I think there was a special, extra-hard/abrasive grade of concrete
reserved for use under swings & monkey bars   ;D ;D ;D

The oldest playground in my country has sand flooring. The soft flooring is god's gift though, I used to jump 2 meters from the top of the slide onto the floor when I was 5. Landed on my back without issues.

Midway Tommy

This has been quite an interesting, entertaining and hilarious thread!  ;D  Thanks for all the chuckles!   ;)

Lee has the quote of the day, though..  8)  .."Too many "voters" ate paint chips when they were kids." :al
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Barishi... Back in the 20s and 30s the dangers of radium certainly weren't well known for most people...

Ever heard of Radithor?
The stuff of nightmares...

Lunker Larry

Funny how this pops up on TV the same time we have this thread. This is a concern in the U.S. and Canada.
Asbestos cement city water pipes. Check it out.

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Keta

And there is still lots of lead pipe.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reeltyme

I have been rolling on the floor laughing my backside off! Sadly, everything that has been said is true! I lived through it all and thank heavens, I still feel fine!

I will have to say, I am thankful for all those warning tags on all the electronics telling us not to use them in the bathtub! Ho would have guessed?😳

Keta

I still worry about cancer whenever I get close to or cross the CA border.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

once I sprained my pinky in the rotary phone dial, as I dashed to the pre-remote TV  ::)

Gfish

Nice little documentary L.L. Thanks for posting that. Kinda seems like there'd be less of a chance of that kinda B.S. happening in Canada with the much lower population level(i.e., they'd take care of it instead of all the political/$ denial crap like we do down here).

Always liked TV shows from Canada. Do they still have "The Nature of Things"? Used to watch it in the 90's on cable.

Time to stick my head back in the sand now...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lunker Larry

QuoteAlways liked TV shows from Canada. Do they still have "The Nature of Things"? Used to watch it in the 90's on cable
Sure is. Been going since 1960. David Suzuki retired from the show this year but it's still going strong.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

ExcessiveAngler

Ha ha ha ha, I thought I was the only phobe round here lol!
I can tell you this, if you keep worrying about all this, you'll likely die from an early age from worrying yourself to death!
My mother was a serious, worry wart, and passed away from a heart attack at the age of 56, never drank, never smoked, nothing! She always went to the doctor, looked completely, healthy and was a complete angel!
And my father died a year later, do believe from a broken heart, he missed her so much!
My old man, would do whatever he had to do to fix something, back, then there wasn't all these warnings/people to let you know how dangerous things were!
I will have to admit, that sometimes it is absolutely overboard, everything's toxic!
I think everybody's home had a place where you weren't supposed to go and play with the chemicals, that was my favorite place lol!
Are used to grab a frisbee and a tube of this shiny silver stuff, that if you bounced it into the frisbee, it would separate all over into a nice little round balls everywhere!
Then, if you grabbed it and rolled it, it would all go back into a mysteriously round ball again, even used to put it in my mouth and spit it into the frisbee to see if it would do it again lol!
Hmmmmm!!!, sounds like I was playing with liquid mercury lol!
So that was well over 40 years ago!
If you follow every label, you read, you will never leave your home, and enjoy your life!
Don't know where you live, but in some places
They merely want you to go to work and stay home and pay your taxes and not enjoy your life!
I would think, that if you used just plain common sense, you will make out just fine!
I can tell you this, I have been exposed to so so many things that I didn't know about!
Sanding/ painting houses with old old paint and sheet rock, no mask, no windows open!
Hanging out and playing around dumps and landfills, and definitely saw some shocking stuff, but we just kept on playing lol!
Going back and smashing old two TVs with pipes at the dump and I mean smashing!
At one time in my life, I was pretty messed up and lived this way. I was literally afraid to walk out my door!
I should not be here on this earth still, been in multiple violent car accidents, and some other super crazy incidents, where your average person had no chance to live, and walked away unscathed! Now, I did collapse my lungs, but I consider that nothing, to I went through during that last accident!
I've come to realize, that it doesn't matter what you do brother, when it's your time, it's your time my friend!
Thank God, I'm a Leo, and had nine lives, I think, I only have about two or three left though!
My take is, try not to sweat the small stuff, you're only here on this earth for so long, try to be vigilant, but worry about stuff that really needs to be worried about and go live your life to the fullest!

Sincerely
Matt

Maxed Out

How about xylene or xylol (my spelling may be off). For a few years I was the maintenance guy for a chain of roller skating rinks that had uerothane floor skating surface. Each summer the rinks would close for 3-4 days for resurfacing. The old floor had to be sanded with large orbital Sanders. The dust was everywhere. Then for resurfacing, the "rink cote" came in 5 gallon buckets and the catalyst was a 50/50 mix of liquid plastic and xylol and each bucket had to be well stirred with a large drill with paddle bit for 15 minutes, then let rest for 1 hour to allow bubbles to escape. Each rink took about (12)5 gallon buckets to do the entire floor. The liquid eurothane was then poured on in a 4-5' wide puddle the length of the rink floor, then a 3' squeegee was used to spread it paper thin across the whole floor. I would do 3 coats. They did supply me with a scary looking gas mask, but I noticed the mask filters were not for fumes, only for dust, so I never wore the mask. At the end of each job, I was light headed and somewhat giggly from breathing the fumes. I did 5 rinks in 5 days one summer and it left me feeling light headed for a week or so. I finally quit and got combination license and a job driving big rig. All I can say is I was young and dumb. Needless to say, I am still sucking air and fishing, and try to keep my distance from chemicals.

A lot of fish have mercury, but most is stored in the grey fat line and easy to trim off. A can of starkist tuna still says pregnant woman should not eat starkist more than twice a week. Yep, it's the mercury
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Gfish

Good stories, Matt & Ted.
Maybe it would come down to an individual person's constitution at the given time of exposure. Some resist pathological effects better than others. Also, maybe some are predisposed to more extreme effects because of other diseases that weaken their resistance.
Another pathological factor must be the level of exposure.