Big pike on a 300.

Started by bushleague, June 09, 2023, 10:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushleague

Went walleye fishing today... good thing I brought a box of pike hooks. Heres a few pictures of pike ranging from 38-40", and I caught around a dozen more of a similar size. Fish were caught on 10 lb mono, which wouldnt be my first choice for this caliber of fish, but its what I had and it did the job. Between the lack of a line roller and the crappy Ugly Stik line guides the line is pretty much shot after hauling in big pike for almost 3 hours straight though... a truely rare day.
RIMG0033 by , on Flickr

RIMG0030 by , on Flickr

RIMG0027 by , on Flickr

RIMG0019 by , on Flickr

foakes

Hi BL —-

Nice day of Spring Fishing!

If you need a line guide for your Mitchell 300 —- let me know and I will put a couple of new ones in the mail.

N/C.

PM me your mailing information.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bushleague

Quote from: foakes on June 09, 2023, 11:01:17 PMHi BL —-

Nice day of Spring Fishing!

If you need a line guide for your Mitchell 300 —- let me know and I will put a couple of new ones in the mail.

N/C.

PM me your mailing information.

Best, Fred

Thanks so much for the offer, I do have some spare line guides, and the one on that Mitchell is good. IMO the tungston guides are sort of the limiting factor on the Mitchells. With higher drag settings the line takes some punnishment, and in the interest of getting those pike on their way in good health I was keeping that drag as tight as I could, as well as palming the spool when I could get away with it.

Brewcrafter

Now that is a nice day fishing! - john

Midway Tommy

That's a lot of big fish!  8)  Where abouts in the country were you fishing?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Donnyboat

Nice days fishing, it looks  like you really know how to handle that rod, you really have the feel for your combo, thanks for posting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

YES! "A truly rare day".
More info., if you will. Shore fishing? Lure or bait? General location? Lake or River?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

bushleague

Quote from: Gfish on June 10, 2023, 03:30:33 PMYES! "A truly rare day".
More info., if you will. Shore fishing? Lure or bait? General location? Lake or River?

Caught on lures from a river in Alberta, fishing from shore. Alot of them were caught by throwing a large white twister tail into faster water, counting it down to the bottom, then hopping it back into the slow water. Eventually I think they'd seen that jig go by enough times that they started ignoring it so I switched to a large bucktail spinner. I'd throw it quartering upriver at the current seam an burn it back pretty quick. Both methods worked pretty good. I liked the jig cause they are almost always lip hooked and easy to release, but I think a high percentage of the biggest fish came on the bucktail.

bushleague

Quote from: Donnyboat on June 10, 2023, 12:41:59 PMNice days fishing, it looks  like you really know how to handle that rod, you really have the feel for your combo, thanks for posting, cheers Don.

Yeah, a 7' Ugly Stick is a forgiving rod, and that Berkley Big Game mono is pretty resiliant with alot of stretch. Still felt like tall order at times, but if I'd been using a fast action grapite rod with similar strength braid I think I would have had more trouble. I do fish with such combo's, but I'd rather fight a big fish on mono and a slower rod any day.

I did get broken off right at the end, my line was in pretty rough shape by then, even though I'd trimmed it back a couple times, and it got wrapped around the rod tip while I was trying to unhook a big fish... the fish made one last run and snapped the line, lucky it didnt snap the tip of the rod.