Mitchell Version 4 Full Bail Lefty

Started by Reeltyme, June 11, 2023, 07:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

My 301 which lives in Dixie, reversed name plate came back as a 1954, still a fisher for me, the serial was very small, needed the visor with a magnifier and light in the correct direction to find it.
Doomed from childhood

happyhooker

Makes sense that, if the factory only stamped serial numbers on completed reels, frames that were intended as parts replacements and not initially put in a complete reel at the factory would not have serial numbers.  That sounds like a logical answer, but, remember, we are dealing with a French-made reel and logic may not ever have been part of the consideration.  Other questions come up when parts reels are used to repair other reels; you can end up with serial numbers that don't mean a thing.  It seems to me I have also heard of reels that are documented as completed from the factory and have never been worked on or had parts changed, and they don't have serial numbers either.

Frank

Reeltyme

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on June 17, 2023, 11:17:34 AMMy 301 which lives in Dixie, reversed name plate came back as a 1954, still a fisher for me, the serial was very small, needed the visor with a magnifier and light in the correct direction to find it.
Cutty,  I know what your vision is like. ALMOST as bad as mine!

As for the lack of any serial number, according to the Mitchell website, the very early half bails only had a singular number stamped on the foot. The first gen had a #5 stamped on the foot. Generations 2 & 3 had various numbers stamped there. Again, according to the website.

Gfish

Mine(version 2 or 3?) has a 7 stamped on the foot.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reeltyme

Quote from: Gfish on June 18, 2023, 06:05:02 PMMine(version 2 or 3?) has a 7 stamped on the foot.

Yup. Your guess is as good as mine.

jtwill98

I think I read somewhere the single numbers (5 and 7) were stamped by the foundries where the bodies were poured as identification marks. Somewhere along the like they stopped it, probably when they moved the serial number to the foot.  I couldn't find any documentation on whether this was true. 

Reeltyme

Quote from: Reeltyme on June 19, 2023, 10:09:26 AM
Quote from: Gfish on June 18, 2023, 06:05:02 PMMine(version 2 or 3?) has a 7 stamped on the foot.

Yup. Your guess is as good as mine.
Update G. In the last month I have seen 2 half bails marked #7 on the foot (this morning was the 2nd time), and both reels were claimed to be version 2. An observation I made was that the anti reverse switch was different on the 2 reels. One had the boomerang style while the other had a knob like what would be found on a first version reel. My "opinion" is that the knob is earlier than the boomerang style switch making the knob reel more likely to be a version 2 and the other a later 2 or a 3.

jtwill98

There is quite a bit of research and controversy on what is a version 1, version 2 and version 3.  Some persons use the terms mk1.0, mk1.1, mk1.2, mk2.0, mk2.1, mk3.0 and so forth to classify further them as collectibles.   

In general, the round knobs indicate a mk1 or mk2 and the boomerang anti-reverse mk3. Mk1s with have a fine cross-hatch round knob while mk2s have a coarse cross-hatch pattern. 

Other characteristics must be also considered, like handles, is primer present under the paint, internal gear characteristics, etc.

True assessment of the reels classification is best done by the known collectors/experts.  Pictures will help here, but the collectors tend to exist on the MRM forum and unfortunately that site's forum participation has dropped way down. 

Some books if you're interested in collecting or gaining more knowledge include:
  • The Early years of the Mitchell Fishing Reel by Roland Babulis
  • The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel by Wallace Carney
  • The Mitchell Century - A Reel Revolution by George Saul
  • Mitchell - Birth of a Legend (a booklet) by B.R. Frewing
  • Mitchell Collectors' Reference Guide by Dennis Roberts

A least one of these collectors has passed on and I know one has medical issues, the others still occasionally pop up at the MRM site or on Facebook Mitchell forum.

Reeltyme

Quote from: jtwill98 on August 11, 2023, 06:59:22 PMThere is quite a bit of research and controversy on what is a version 1, version 2 and version 3.  Some persons use the terms mk1.0, mk1.1, mk1.2, mk2.0, mk2.1, mk3.0 and so forth to classify further them as collectibles.   

In general, the round knobs indicate a mk1 or mk2 and the boomerang anti-reverse mk3. Mk1s with have a fine cross-hatch round knob while mk2s have a coarse cross-hatch pattern. 

Other characteristics must be also considered, like handles, is primer present under the paint, internal gear characteristics, etc.

True assessment of the reels classification is best done by the known collectors/experts.  Pictures will help here, but the collectors tend to exist on the MRM forum and unfortunately that site's forum participation has dropped way down. 

Some books if you're interested in collecting or gaining more knowledge include:
  • The Early years of the Mitchell Fishing Reel by Roland Babulis
  • The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel by Wallace Carney
  • The Mitchell Century - A Reel Revolution by George Saul
  • Mitchell - Birth of a Legend (a booklet) by B.R. Frewing
  • Mitchell Collectors' Reference Guide by Dennis Roberts

A least one of these collectors has passed on and I know one has medical issues, the others still occasionally pop up at the MRM site or on Facebook Mitchell forum.

All great information, thanks!