what have we learnt?

Started by wallacewt, February 29, 2012, 03:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

me,ive blown up reels,broke rods since ive been on this site learning about drags.
never broke any before.small price to pay for the knowledge ive gained.the most important item to me has been to fish the reel within its capabilities.push them over their limit and pay the price.ill never blow up another rod or reel.dont worry about the manufacturers drags specs to much,theyre just a guide.they lie. i read today that it has made broadway a better person,what about you?

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on February 29, 2012, 03:06:55 AM
i read today that it has made broadway a better person,what about you?
Broadway Dom a better person?  They don't come any better.  Dominick

PS. Dom, don't forget the money.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

what about you alan,what have you learnt since you opened this site.others seem a bit reluctant to comment.

floating doc

What have I learned? Oh, where to begin!

I'm new to the site, and haven't dismantled more than about 10 reels in my life. The bottom line is that I've learned that you can "hot-rod" a reel, just like I've been doing to my cars for decades. The rest follows from that.  ;D
Central Florida

George4741

I've learned that all I really need is a Penn Jigmaster for where I go fishing; rockfish and school albacore.

Just kidding. ;D  I've learned so much more.

I've learned that there are still people out there with old-school values.  People who freely exchange ideas and opinions, offer solutions, make new-bees feel welcome, and aren't critical of other members.      

My thanks to Alan and the other administrators, moderators, and members for making this site a success.
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

Hmm, I've learned that you have to have thick skin to be a moderator 'cause you guys are tough to moderate ::)  Just kidding.

I've learned a lot about reels, but more importantly, I've made many new friends along the way.  :D :D :D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

ive learned i got alot more to learn.

broadway

I've learned a lot more than that from you guys, but I was thinking last night that it's scary how people you don't even meet in person can have an effect on your life.
I've also learned the same as Kam, gotta lot more learning to do!  ;)
PS- Dominick, the check is in the mail!
Thanks
Dom

redsetta

Good thread Wallace.
There's an old Maori saying that sums it up for me:
"He aha te mea nui? He tangata. He tangata. He tangata."
"What is the most important thing? It is people, it is people, it is people."
Been a pleasure getting to know yas.  ;)
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

Well said, I think ;) I am envious of all the different languages you guys speak.  I speak english and spanglish  :-[
Dom

Alto Mare

Well, for starters, I've learned that there are quite a few guys out there as crazy as me when it comes to fishing reels! More importantly, I've learned that there are some great people out there who are willing to go the extra mile to help out, lend some good advice and share ideas. I've made many friends here...I know it's not possible to meet all of you, in person, but somehow I feel that I already have! Unfortunatley, I've also learned, the hard way, not to talk "Alan Tani" at the dinner table (had a few threats from the wife ;) but my son did ask recently, "Who is the coolest? Dom from NY or Dom from California?" Guess what...I'm not touching this one!  ;)
Alan and the moderators have held this site up to such a high standard...it's really in a league of it's own now! I'm glad to be a part of it! The talented members are priceless! Keep up the great work; it's very much appreciated!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Well when I first started on this site I thought eccentric were guys like Rob and Dom and Sal, guys that eat and sleep reels. :D  Then I come to find out it is a part of a reel.  Not only that it comes with a spring.  I also changed my perspective on pinions.  I had heard of pinions as it applies to steering wheels on cars then I find out it is a part of a reel.  I don't have a pinion on this (that was a stretch).  I also agree with Sal that I have met a lot of great people on this site.  I Skyped Wallace the other day and I felt really good that I could hear his wife in the background say "Wallace who is that?"  Wallace as if I had met his whole family replied "It's Dominick."  It looked like no explanation was needed.  I also learned that when someone on the site needed financial help due to an emergency the members came through with not only financial help but loads of emotional support.  All in all (except when I get scolded by Brian and Alan) it has been a really good experience being on this site.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

.....  that it's generally good to stay humble.  5 years ago, i thought i had it all figured out.  well, our knowledge base has maybe quadrupled in that period of time.  right now, i'm still thinking we're doing pretty good.  we'll see how that looks in 5 more.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broschro

Quote from: George4741 on February 29, 2012, 03:02:23 PM
I've learned that all I really need is a Penn Jigmaster for where I go fishing; rockfish and school albacore.

Just kidding. ;D  I've learned so much more.

I've learned that there are still people out there with old-school values.  People who freely exchange ideas and opinions, offer solutions, make new-bees feel welcome, and aren't critical of other members.      

My thanks to Alan and the other administrators, moderators, and members for making this site a success.

what he said.thanks to all that make this site what it is.

forrest

I cant say thankyou enough to you guys, ive learned so much, thanks again alan and friends, forrest