what have we learnt?

Started by wallacewt, February 29, 2012, 03:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

I've learned a bunch about reels. I mean a BIG amount of information! From being intimidated about taking off a sideplate to completely disassembling a reel and making improvements and modifications as I put it all back together.

I've also learned that there are some people out there crazier than me. ;D ;D And those "crazies" are some of the best, most generous people I've come to know in person and long distance.

Thanks to you all! 8)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Handcrafters

I have learned where all of the good people hang out, birds of a feather and all.  At 67 I am learning all about the things that I thought I knew, and just when I was getting tired of chasing the lilttle anti-reverse paw spring in the penn reels around the floor.  I keep a extendable magnet on the work bench. 
All kidding aside I am humbled by knowing this group of people, and learning quite a few things too.
Thanks again for the welcome and not only that, but really making someone feel welcome.
Lynn

D impala95

I've learned not to encourage my non mechanically inclined friends to service their own reels. It's a PITA to clean up their mess after it comes all taken apart, has parts missing or both.
I'm a trained killer.
It's killing time but please leave oversize sturgeon in the water.

Don Leitao

broadway

Dominick, you certainly have a way with words! ;)
Sal, you tell Anthony that I'm cooler, but Dominick dresses and cooks better  ;D
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on March 01, 2012, 03:52:35 AM
Sal, you tell Anthony that I'm cooler, but Dominick dresses and cooks better  ;D
Dom
Oh yeah, one more thing.  I also learned that our friends from down under are called Antipodes and they target Dhu fish.   ;D  I also learned if I don't stay focused, I'll get scolded by Alan, Bryan and Rob. ::)
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Pescachaser on March 01, 2012, 04:31:45 AM
Quote from: broadway on March 01, 2012, 03:52:35 AM
Sal, you tell Anthony that I'm cooler, but Dominick dresses and cooks better  ;D
Dom
Oh yeah, one more thing.  I also learned that our friends from down under are called Antipodes and they target Dhu fish.   ;D  I also learned if I don't stay focused, I'll get scolded by Alan, Bryan and Rob. ::)
Hey, I have never scolded you for your tangents.  Alan and Rob always beat me too it where I didn't have to. ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wascallywabit

Knowledge is a good thing. When it's backed up by a support system of good, friendly, problem solving people it's even better. A year ago I wouldn't think of taking screws out of a reel. Now my friends are amazed when I have parts lined up all over my bench, know what they are , what they do, and how they all fit back together. Now if I could only find a way to keep them all on the bench istead of crawling around the floor on my hands and knees looking for springs, pawls, shields, what ever.  :'( >:(

Tile

For me the info and knowledge was invalueble when I decided to have conventional reels as part of my fishing inventory and this served me well when I serviced them and done some modifications to the ones that I have (especially the Banax).
In solid fiberglass we trust

flyforfish21

I have learned that this website is an invaluable tool. Constantly looking back through old posts and tutorials to add to the already jam packed brain. It's awesome to know you can come on here to ask a question, and generally more than one guy will have answered you within a day. I can't thank this forum enough for the awesome people you guys are, but for also giving me the confidence to start doing this stuff on the side!

Not to mention, you can come on here and ask Dawn a question, and she's right on it!

Geoff

Bryan Young

Knowledge is a waste unless you share it...as well as receive it.  :D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

I've learned reels,reels and more reels. You guy's are the best!! Thanks for all the help and thanks for the future help I'm sure I'm going to need!
luck is the residue of design.

broadway

Nothing like reel talk and good ole' global camaraderie to cap my day off perfectly!
Thanks,
Crew!

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on March 02, 2012, 04:59:09 AM
Nothing like reel talk and good ole' global camaraderie to cap my day off perfectly!
Thanks,
Crew!
"Global camaraderie" wow, now who has a way with words?  You go Dom.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

arrowhawk

I have learnt that for every reel there is a problem. For every problem you guys have a solutions.
I have also learnt that springs make things work. Finding flying springs is a lot of work LOL.
What I reelly really like about this site is it allow you to take risk.
I have a 5600L spinning reel that I picked up used I wanted to give in a cleaning along with the liveliner part of the reel. Before this site I would not have taken it apart.
I took it apart knowing that if I ran into a problem somebody would help out........All went will
the reel is working like a charm.

alantani

Quote from: arrowhawk on March 02, 2012, 11:17:42 PM
I have also learnt that springs make things work. Finding flying springs is a lot of work LOL.

yeah, that's what got me started on this.  it was a flying spring.... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!