AG Conolon rod; need info, please

Started by happyhooker, June 13, 2023, 07:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

The front hood is the least of my worries on this AG reel seat.  It grips the reel foot to a depth of 3/8 in. or better, which is at least as deep as most of the rods I have.  Picture first posted doesn't show this very clearly.  The thought expressed that it might be worthwhile to replace the seat with a "new (preferably fuji) seat" was not particularly helpful, giving the dozens of models of seats Fuji offers, both graphite (like the current one) and aluminum, in a bunch of price ranges.  Anybody have a particular Fuji (or other brand) seat model they really like on a medium-light rod?

I wish somebody with one of these AG rods could offer some insights into their experiences with these type of seats.

Frank 

happyhooker

Jtwill98, I really like that paracord grip setup you installed.  Not only looks good, but should have some durability to it & be "grippy" as well.  Might have to give that a shot on some rods I am working on.  I'm guessing install might be a bit easier than foam or cork too.

Frank

jtwill98

Frank,

I don't have any experience with that particular reel seat. I was mainly commenting on your remark that the whole foot twisted. Typically that means it is already loose and might become a problem.  I guess if it does, you can deal with it then.

There is a company online (https://mudhole.com/collections/spinning-reel-seats) that has reel seats from $5 on up. Perhaps you could contact them with a picture and maybe someone there could shed some light on your reel seat.

I wasn't aware of paracord wrapping until I found some videos online showing how to wrap a grip using paracord. Sometimes, you can wrap right over foam grips. It's is fairly easy do and I'm happy with the result. The most difficult part is pulling the paracord tag end under the last few wraps.  Spend some time watching a video or two, I would record my own but there's many already online.  Search online using this string: "how to paracord wrap a fishing rod". 

JasonGotaProblem

My apologies I recommend fuji DPS-M in probably size 18. You can get them on mudhole or eBay ir many other places. the only difference between the the DPSM and thr DPSD is the "deluxe" one has a fancy trim band for a few bucks more. I'm happy to go into more detail if you need me to.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jtwill98

I had some fun with the wrapped rod this evening and latched on to this big bass on my last cast for the evening. 

happyhooker

Again, thanks, for the further info on the paracord wrapping.

Frank

happyhooker

Thanks for the tip on the DPSM seat.

Frank

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: jtwill98 on June 23, 2023, 05:42:53 PMHere are a couple pictures (before and after) of a Conolon rod that I picked up a while back (on the cheap)  with a reel seat that needed some help. I opted to remove the reel seat because it wasn't positioned onto the blank correctly. 

To do so, I removed the foam grips which were already breaking down and leaving particles in my hands.  Then, I applied some heat to the aluminum seat and twisted the seat off the rod.  Once off, I cleaned off the old epoxy with some sand paper, applied new epoxy and slide the seat into place.

If I had new foam or cork grips I would have added the to the seat before hand, but I was being thrifty and had a plan to use paracord as the grips so I skipped that step.

While the the epoxy cured, I asked my wife to get some paracord that matched the rod color as I didn't trust my eyes (I'm red-green color-blind).

A couple of days later, I wrapped the grips and I think it turned out good for an everyday fishing rod. 

Howdy JT!
So, the rod in that bottom picture is a Garcia reef series, huh lol!
I will have to admit, I thought you were totally wrong and was going to tell you that was a Daiwa Apollo! Then I did a double take, when I saw that Garcia logo and just had to look a little closer, so I will have to man up and apologize lol!
Now, I just would like(NEED LOL)to know who copied off of who?
I have some very fond memories growing up with the Daiwa Apollo's, still have one or two here and honestly, I'll probably be a little bummed out! If I find out they copied them, from Abu Garcia!
The blanks look, to be the same exact color, and even have the same chevron butt wrap and guide wraps too!
So, hopefully somebody has some more information, as to the build timelines of these rods?
Now off to do a little research about this!
Thanks EA

jtwill98

You got me curious, so I had another look at the rod and realize it doesn't have the Conolon name anywhere on the rod. It is a Garcia Mitchell 7122 Medium action 6-1/2' rod. So it's very possible it was Garcia Michell branded rod made by Daiwa Apollo. 

It really not important to me as it's an everyday rod, but I understand your point that I shouldn't misrepresent it as a Conolon when it's not stated as such on the rod -- my mistake. 

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: jtwill98 on June 25, 2023, 10:25:48 PMYou got me curious, so I had another look at the rod and realize it doesn't have the Conolon name anywhere on the rod. It is a Garcia Mitchell 7122 Medium action 6-1/2' rod. So it's very possible it was Garcia Michell branded rod made by Daiwa Apollo. 

It really not important to me as it's an everyday rod, but I understand your point that I shouldn't misrepresent it as a Conolon when it's not stated as such on the rod -- my mistake. 

Oh boy here we go! lol!
It was not my intent to say that you were misrepresenting your rod at all!
So sorry about that my friend!
It's actually very nice and I like it!
I was just shocked when I saw it, honestly!
I said oh, look at that nice Daiwa Apollo, maybe he's talking about the other white rod!
But nope, you were talking about the blue one, and after looking closely, saw indeed it was an Abu Garcia rod! I have a smaller one here, that I cut down, for bottom fishing, specifically, for blackfishing and is one of my favorite tough, old rods!
And I went and try to do a little research and I really couldn't find out anything lol!
It is what it is my friend, i'll gladly buy one of those Abu Garcia rods, if I bump into one of them now lol!
They have to be the same damn blank lol!