bearing removal

Started by floating doc, February 29, 2012, 02:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelSpeed

probably.  ;D ;D  but it has never happened yet. 

as long as you don't put your feet at the very edge of the sideplate, it should not flex too much..  Keep em close to the cup area.   But if you are really worried, just try to lube it as is or buy a new bearing/cup..
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

floating doc

OK, I gave up on getting the bearing out :P. Another week in the baby food jar with wintergreen alcohol, and all I ended up with was bending the tip on my modified paint can opener. I need a better tool; one built for this purpose.  There were a few black chunks in the alcohol, plus a bit of brown oily stuff blew out of the bearing with the compressed air. Even though they seem to turn freely, I want to replace them.

I decided to finish the reel and fish it while I wait for the bearings (and new cup); especially since I can't get the side plate off the left side! I didn't expect this to be easy, but come on!

There are screws holding the posts on, plus the middle of the three screws in the reel foot is still there. These screws are under the side plate, so they can't be removed without taking off the side plate.

Looking at the outside, you see that all the screws are out. The plate should come off, but I can't get it to budge. I've had this reel for at least a month now, and I'm getting frustrated.

Central Florida

alantani

you should be able to tap out the black side plate and leave the gold ring on. the gold ring is held on by screws underneath the black side plate.  they are two separate pieces.  once you remove all the outside screws, you can separate the two.  several more screws will allow you to remove the inside gold ring from the frame pieces.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

intili

The 970 side plate is pressed in there, you can get it off very carefully with two thin flat screw drivers and working back and forth circumfrentially. (probably misspelled that!) I did a 980 mag a few years ago and had similar problems, but got it all apart, the left side bearing is actually larger than the 113H bearings, and the drags are very good also. I wanted to try to get thniner drag washers and upgrade to a 5 drag stack plus one under the gear, the thinner washers are same as the 320 series reels, but i gave up on that and kept the 113H washers. Maybe Alan remembers our conversations reguarding the drag upgrade on the 980? I think it would be killer reel with 5 drags, and I love the reel otherwise, it casts great and has good spool capacity, i have mine spooled with 65#tuf line XP. There was also a great penn handle i got as an upgrade, i have to look thru my notes to find the number, as the gear sleeve is a 98-320, so same size as the 113H and now stainless ones are available for that. I wouldnt give up my 980Mag fior anything! Good luck!

alantani

it will be hard to remove because the plastic will swell over time.  that's why they get locked in!

Irish Jigger

Don't worry we all get frustrated sometimes. ;D
You are almost there.You have removed all the screws (from reel stand and spacing bars) securing the gold ring to the side plate and they should  now separate.
Drop the lot into boiling water and leave for a couple of minutes. Remove from water (hold in a cloth) and try prising the gold ring from the end plate using a screwdriver taking care not to damage the gold ring. Good Luck. ;)

intili

agreed old friend! I put it in the freezer(tip from our friend Dan out in oregon(winchesterbay) who also loves the 990Mag. 24 hours in the freezer and the bakelight will shring more than the steel but you need to squirt som PB Blaster in there first to loosen up any crud in there, and I greased mine up reel good upon reassembly, and was able to get it apart easily a few years later.

floating doc

Thanks for the fast replies. I put the reel a plastic bag, sprayed with some liquid wrench (couldn't find my can of PB Blaster-gotta organize the garage), and now it's in the freezer.

I'll post results. I'm afraid to tackle it with screwdrivers; I don't think it's possible to do so without damaging the soft aluminum of the gold ring. I'm going to try to tap it out by using a piece of hardwood in the center of the end plate. I'll put the gold ring back on the other end to stabilize the frame a bit.

After this finished, I get to start on my 990. It's a good thing that I have two similar reels, I'm not sure I'm going to remember how to get this thing back together! If necessary, I can reassemble it while taking the 990 apart.

Then I've got a 112 that I picked up somewhere, then the 545, then the old Sealines (50H, 450H, 600H, 900H), and finally my one lever drag, a GLS 40.  

My baitcasters were serviced not long ago, so they're ok; my two spinners can go to the shop.  ;D  

Can you tell I don't care for spinning reels?

Finally, I've got to set up my rod building equipment; I need to replace some of my rods. I'm hoping that I might even be able to get the custom rod business going again (I built and sold a few hundred rods during the 80's and 90's).

Here's a rod I built in about 1990. It's got a lot of wear now, but it used to be awfully pretty.  Now it's not being used at all; look at the dust in the guide frame. Sad....

Central Florida

alantani

you know, guys, we could offer a 12 step fishing reel repair detox program and probably make a killing!  this stuff really is addicting, isn't it!

redsetta

Detox is for quitters...  ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

floating doc

Well, the bearing was and is still jammed in place. However, the side plate is off! Removal process:
1. Reinstall the gold ring on the right side to stabilize the frame.
2. Spray liquid wrench inside the left side plate.
3. Double bag (don't want my food to stink) in ziplock bags, then place in freezer overnight.
4. Remove from freezer and remove the four outside screws (I had replaced them).
5. Place 1 X 1 X 12 inch hardwood against the inside of the side plate. Hold the frame with the sideplate up and the wood piece protruding downward. One (rather gentle) tap on the concrete floor, and the plate popped out.
6. Post followup on alantani.com. I like to be able to contribute for the benefit of others; this is an excellent website!

Now I can put it back together. Oh, and keeping with the other discussion on that topic, now I can also install the screws for the new rod clamp I bought for this reel. I got a Penn Lanyard type clamp for $7.95 with free shipping on eBay. I'll be buying more of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150728645753?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Central Florida

Irish Jigger

Congratulations, perseverance pay's off. ;D ;D
Now for that stubborn bearing. Boil it/freeze it you know you can do it. ;)

intili

Congratulations FloatingDoc! When I did my 980Mag, alot of discussions with Alan and a wonderful fellow named Dan(ReelyGone) was how i got mine done. The handle I used was a 26S-225, very nice economical stainless penn handle replacement for stock. I also recommend yo get the 113H stainless gear sleeve from Alan, and if you are very adventurous go for the 320 drag kit or carbontex from Dawn and stuff 5 drags in the gear, I know someday I will!

alantani

i like to put an old penn international handle on these.  it gives the reel a very classic look.

Irish Jigger

Can you recommend a part number Alan?