Daiwa gears installation

Started by Fav, June 20, 2023, 07:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Every modern spinner has several points where shims are critical.

You can replace them as you found them but the last critical piece of the puzzle is the tightness of everything associated during reassembly.

If you tighten down the rotor more than original that can move the pinion forward just enough to feel rougher than before. Same with too loose, the pinion can have more play the other way. On some reels the tightness of the side plate screws can change the tolerances. The reel should have 1mm of play side to side with the handle and the same forward to back with the pinion.

Change the tightness of things and it can be very difficult to recover the original smooth feel. Spin the reel too much when its a touch too tight and rough and you get roughness forever more.

I mark the rotor so I don't overtighten it as well as the main gear to pinion relationship.

But sometimes replacing the pinion and main with new ones and doing a new original shim job is the only cure. When you take a look at how much one shim changes the tolerance (a fraction of a millimeter) then the scope and sensitivity of the issue should be apparent.... :-\

Comparatively, a spinner just cannot be serviced as frequently as a conventional reel due to these shimming issues in my experience without replacing the main and pinion. Shimano famously hands them out like candy when Stellas are sent in for their gold service or whatever they call it now (if they even do it still). It was a significant selling issue for Stellas as compared to Daiwa's very expensive service.

steelfish

I have similar problem but dont want to hijack the thread.

check here please
https://alantani.com/index.php/topic,37460.0.html
The Baja Guy