Before & After Penn 506HS

Started by Crab Pot, June 23, 2023, 03:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

I got the subject reel from Jason last month with the intent to Hot Rod it out.

Well I got the cosmetic part done.

My first Tiburon frame install with Pro Challenger knob, handle, and drag star.

Not sure if I'll keep that handle position on the end like that. Jury's still out on that one.

I also replaced the plate rings and exposed fasteners with parts from Mystic.

The real "Hot Rod" internal parts are on order, I'm getting Alan's SS Custom gear sleeve and Brians UU-PENN500 5 to 1 drag stack.

The Yellowtails won't know what hit them this August.

Before and After Photos.
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

JasonGotaProblem

You realize it already has a steel sleeve (and main) and Bryan's drag kit, right?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Crab Pot

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 23, 2023, 04:03:15 PMYou realize it already has a steel sleeve (and main) and Bryan's drag kit, right?

No, LOL, I never took it apart to inspect it.

Now I can spend that $$$ on another reel.  8)  ;D

JasonGotaProblem

Cortez fine thread sleeve

Steel gear set from 500S jigmaster. (Not the high speed gears)

In fact you can see the steel sleeve in the before pics because I took the handle off.

ExcessiveAngler

Oh, I like the way that jiggly looks!
That there is a total does all reel!
Looks like it's going to knock the boots off some fish on the boat, and could add some mags and make it a killer surf reel as well!
Got to make up my mind squidder Jr. or Jiggy Jr.??
Definitely getting some inspiration off this build for sure!
Do you have any idea what that reel weighs in at now?

Black Pearl

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 23, 2023, 05:10:32 PMCortez fine thread sleeve

In fact you can see the steel sleeve in the before pics because I took the handle off.

Question, how can a JigMaster 500 gear set work in 506 ?

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Black Pearl on June 23, 2023, 08:09:23 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 23, 2023, 05:10:32 PMCortez fine thread sleeve

There was an extended thread when I built it. My understanding of what I've read here combined with my personal experience is that 500 years work just fine in a 506 but penn 506 years don't work in a 500 unless they're specifically made for it. And the ones specifically made for a 500... Don't work in a 506. I happen to have tried that as well. I think you may be personally familiar with the high speed steel set i happen to have.

But the 500s gears in my 506 conquered a 5' bull shark with no signs of trauma. On the reel. I broke the rod though.

I'm by no means an expert. I'm just an idiot with a workshop who experiments with stuff.

Crab Pot

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on June 23, 2023, 06:08:25 PMOh, I like the way that jiggly looks!
That there is a total does all reel!
Looks like it's going to knock the boots off some fish on the boat, and could add some mags and make it a killer surf reel as well!
Got to make up my mind squidder Jr. or Jiggy Jr.??
Definitely getting some inspiration off this build for sure!
Do you have any idea what that reel weighs in at now?

ExcessiveAngler,

it weighs 1.38 pounds or 22 ounces.

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 23, 2023, 08:23:21 PM

There was an extended thread when I built it. My understanding of what I've read here combined with my personal experience is that 500 years work just fine in a 506 but penn 506 years don't work in a 500 unless they're specifically made for it. And the ones specifically made for a 500... Don't work in a 506. I happen to have tried that as well. I think you may be personally familiar with the high speed steel set i happen to have.

But the 500s gears in my 506 conquered a 5' bull shark with no signs of trauma. On the reel. I broke the rod though.

I'm by no means an expert. I'm just an idiot with a workshop who experiments with stuff.

Jason,

The JM 500S and the JM 506HS have different part numbers.

The reel works fine but I'm going to take it apart and confirm.

This is going to be my Jig workhorse on my four day trip in August so it'll give me peace of mind.  :d

JasonGotaProblem

When in doubt test and inspect. I used it up to 20# of drag in that configuration. I'm not so interested in part numbers as much as I am in "does it work".

Crab Pot

Doesn't have a part number.

It works, I'll have to confirm the gear ratio.

I'm happy.

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 23, 2023, 08:23:21 PM

The high speed jigmasters (505/506) gear set  has a slightly larger center distance than the standard jigmasters (500/501). That is why there is also a different bridge plate.  Therefore, the 500 gears are a bit farther apart than they should be if they are installed with a 505 bridge, but folks do it and and seem to be happy.  Going the other way, you are moving the 505 gears closer together on a 500 bridge, so they jam up.

500 gears may work on a 505, but they don't engage at the full depth, and therefore will not be as strong as a correctly built 500/501.  If you do shred gears, it most likely will occur when winding under heavy load.  If you want the strongest combination, use a 500/501 reel with 500/501 gears.  The high speed gear set is not as strong, due to the smaller gear teeth required. Plus higher gear ratios put more load on the parts that tend to fail under load on these reels. 

I seem to remember that the high speed spools also have a slightly smaller spindle diameter underneath the pinion, but I could be misremembering here.

But yeah, people have done the same switch as Jason, and apparently it it works well enough.  It just confuses me that folk will shell out for parts to make the reel stronger, and then chose a combination of unmatched components that weakens the reel.

-J

Bill B

Yeah shredded gears are no fun 😩. Brass main and steel pinion from a 112H, same set can be found in a JM500.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ExcessiveAngler

Well, 22oz doesn't seem to bad for that reel!
I'm just curious, how it wound up being an ounce heavier, according to Mystic Specs!
Says the 506HS, comes in at 21oz!
I was thinking with the addition of the aluminum spool and parts it would be lighter?
Think I'm might have to go with the squidder Jr. And although it's slightly smaller, looks like that it comes in 5 to 6 oz lighter!
Man, I'm kicking myself in the butt, for
not grabbing that 146L the other day, it was gorgeous and was only $60!
And it had the aluminum spool already too!
Not trying to take away from this one at all! I still really like this one as well!
Decisions, decisions lol!
I have definitely learned one thing!
When you see a deal, you just have to take the plunge or kick yourself in the #### later!

Crab Pot

Not sure ExcessiveAngler, I did put a power knob and extended arm on it.

And Jason put steel guts in there.

Maybe that's it?

I know if it had aluminum plates that would make a huge difference.

But I like the Old School plates, I think they add character.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Crab Pot on June 24, 2023, 05:48:46 PMNot sure ExcessiveAngler, I did put a power knob and extended arm on it.

And Jason put steel guts in there.

Maybe that's it?

I know if it had aluminum plates that would make a huge difference.

But I like the Old School plates, I think they add character.
I was thinking, maybe the steel gears as well I mean it's only an ounce, but in my mind was thinking, a few ounces would be shaved off!
I've grabbed a couple of Jigmasters before, always felt very heavy in the hand to me!
But, I've also broken, both my arms, wrists, shoulders, and numerous times too!
Also have wicked arthritis all through my body for a younger guy at 50 lol!
I used to be a daredevil, when I was younger, and always seem to find my way into the most grueling situations lol!
Been in a couple vicious car accidents too, where I should not have lived at all!
So, I'm always looking to try and go with the lightest, strongest (gear)reels,I can afford!
Looking forward, to hearing some feedback on this winch!!!