pro ex 4/0-2

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 05:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dangalang, PhillyJoe and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mitchman

I busted the spring on the clicker. Does Avet still sells these? Their parts department is hard to get ahold of....

Ling

I bought one of these off of eBay recently.  Reel looked and worked great.  I had it set to 15 lbs drag at strike.  I decided to go through the reel anyway and ensure there was no internal corrosion and lube the bearings.  I think I followed the tutorial exactly with exception to the cam.  It came apart when I tried to pry out the bearing.  I cleaned, lubed and reassembled the cam.  The drag plate was already set on the short pins.  When I got everything reassembled, I couldn't get more than about 6 lbs of drag without a very noticeable increase in resistance on the crank.  At 15 lbs, I can hardly turn the crank.  I pulled the reel apart again and fully reassembled.  No change.  Not sure what I did wrong...any ideas?

Keta

Quote from: mitchman on October 16, 2015, 07:02:59 PM
I busted the spring on the clicker. Does Avet still sells these? Their parts department is hard to get ahold of....

Avet prefers that you order parts on line.  You need a "EXW402-010"  and you can order it here, http://www.avetreels.net/PARTS.php  They will call you and let you know the price and availability.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ling

Quote from: Lingwrangler on November 09, 2015, 03:05:44 PM
I bought one of these off of eBay recently.  Reel looked and worked great.  I had it set to 15 lbs drag at strike.  I decided to go through the reel anyway and ensure there was no internal corrosion and lube the bearings.  I think I followed the tutorial exactly with exception to the cam.  It came apart when I tried to pry out the bearing.  I cleaned, lubed and reassembled the cam.  The drag plate was already set on the short pins.  When I got everything reassembled, I couldn't get more than about 6 lbs of drag without a very noticeable increase in resistance on the crank.  At 15 lbs, I can hardly turn the crank.  I pulled the reel apart again and fully reassembled.  No change.  Not sure what I did wrong...any ideas?

Well, I have gone through this reel at least a dozen times.  Added the spacer washer that was missing between the bellevilles and the spool bearing, nothing.  Replaced the bellevilles, nothing.  I replaced the drag plate springs and clips, nothing.  Still incredibly hard to turn the crank even at very light drag settings.  Finally I flipped the end cap and cam bearings over.  Perfect operation after that.  Disassembled again and inspected those bearings.  They spin freeley , but if you put the slightest axial load on the cam bearing, it locks up completely.  Load in the other direction and it is fine.  I ended up with the belleville orientation of ))))|| to get the right spacing.  (()) was too wide and ()() was much too wide.  26# drag at strike.

I'm now thinking about just replacing all of the bearings in this reel.  Is this worth it or should I just replace the faulty one?

alantani

start with just the bearing that is bad.  dawn at smoothdrag.com should have them.  what you describe is classic for a seized up right main side plate bearing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

Avet charges $5 for a bearing... For a good reason!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Robert Janssen

Quote... I ended up with the belleville orientation of ))))||...

Concave side facing AWAY from the bearing then, otherwise they rub on the spool bearing.

Rivverrat

Alan or any one who may know. Is the newer EX 30 as good a reel as this one ?

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Thanks, Lee....Jeff

akfish

The current EX30 is a better reel than the older EX4/0: It has more drag, a functional clicker, and is easier to service because of the way the drag plate is attached and the location of the belleville washers. Unfortunately, it's more expensive. I also wish the dogs are silent, but other than that, it's  great reel. People use the for large halibut up here, and I use one as a 100# tuna reel.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

The Bellville washers are harder to put in on the 30.

Mark Twain

TJS23

Ok so... reviving a thread!

Just bought I used exw 4/02 and took the left side plate off to perform the drag upgrade. Looks like it had already been done as the cir-clips are located on the short posts of the drag plate.

I gather that once upgraded, the lever will be stiff to push up to and beyond strike, which it is, but knocking it back into freespool requires additional (firm) force to make it 'clunk' into position. Is this normal??
I'm getting about 25lb at strike. Would love to get 30  ;D

Thanks in advance!
Tim

Keta

You are exceeding the capacity of the reel, that's what is causing the resistance when going to full.  You will destroy the pinion bearing.

Mark Twain

alantani

it's a good 60 pound reel with 18 pounds of drag at strike.  it can grudgingly fish an 80 pound topshot with 24 pounds of drag at strike.  anymore is really pushing this old reel pretty hard.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!