Squidder 140 spool questions

Started by Flat Top, June 25, 2023, 06:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Top

Maxed Out; No I have not. I have always fished the Penns as they were made....no custom parts, etc.....except the drags (Carbontex). What would the Newel spool offer that the Penn spools dont?
Overkill....is way underrated.

jurelometer

Just about any of the regular brand name monos cast well on a conventional once the line has a chance to absorb some water.  Nylon absorbs a ton of water and does it readily. Water absorption makes mono much limper.  If you have a stiffer mono on your spool, you just need to take it easy for the first couple of casts.

Some folk soak the spool in advance, but mono equalizes with the air humidity so quickly that there is not a huge advantage in doing this in many situations. And soaking for a long time is no different than for a short time, as the nylon will quickly absorb or shed water to match the surrounding environment.

The "memory" on mono coils is not temporary and fully reversible.  The set in the mono coils comes from what the material science guys call creep.  Plastics are elastic, meaning they will spring back when stretched, but if stretched too far, or held in a stretched position too long, elasticity is lost, and the part (or in this case, line) is permanently deformed.

The circumference at the outside of a coil is longer than at the inside.  If the line is wound and held under tension for (not very) long, it creeps more at the outside of the coil than the inside, forming those persistent coils. You can't undo the creep.  You can over-stretch the line straight, which will remove the coil, but will make the line thinner.  Creep /re-creep from repeated coil reforming under load is one of the causes for mono to weaken over time (the primary cause is UV exposure).  Creep is also why mono knots can fail over time.  Braid knots usually fail for entirely different reasons.

Tools to help with coils on winding are attempting to remove twists. They can't undo creep. Twist is usually less of a problem with conventional reels.

And I would wager that Jason and Greg are outliers.  For casting conventional reels, most will find mono much more manageable, especially for clearing backlashes.  Just remember to let the line get wet before getting too enthusiastic on the cast.  If you are practicing on dry ground, then pouring some water on the line a few times will help.

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 28, 2023, 05:57:43 PMHave you considered a Newell spool for your squidder ?

Oooh.  Good call!

-J

Flat Top

Jurelometer; Noted!

I saw a video on you tube...a fella had a Penn 14/0 Senator, I believe it was, in the shop and the mono was wound so tight on the spool that it warped the spool! That was the  "creep" you speak of?

Maxed Out

Quote from: Flat Top on June 28, 2023, 06:03:48 PMMaxed Out; No I have not. I have always fished the Penns as they were made....no custom parts, etc.....except the drags (Carbontex). What would the Newel spool offer that the Penn spools dont?

Newell spools are much lighter and very sturdy, and spin like a top
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

jurelometer

Quote from: Flat Top on June 28, 2023, 07:32:06 PMJurelometer; Noted!

I saw a video on you tube...a fella had a Penn 14/0 Senator, I believe it was, in the shop and the mono was wound so tight on the spool that it warped the spool! That was the  "creep" you speak of?

Nope.  Creep makes coils, elasticity blow out spools.  You will get some combination of the two as you wind mono onto the spool under load.

Creep is a permanent deformation. The part of a the line closest to the outside of the coil has permanently stretched out.  There is next to no stored energy from creep/permanent deformation.  That is why the coils stay coiled.

The spools blow out from elasticity (a temporary deformation).  When you stretch the line (by reeling under tension) it can only get longer by getting thinner. The stretching stores energy in the line, just like stretching a rubber band.  After the tension is gone, the stored energy in the line from stretching is going to be applied to un-stretching. Each wrap on the spool is pushing outward in order to return to the original diameter and length. Wrap pushes against wrap until the the last wrap pushes against the side of the spool.  Now do this layer upon layer, as you fill the spool.  With multiple layers at higher winding load, enough stress can be generated to blow out a plastic spool, or warp a chrome platted brass spool.  Aluminum spools are usually fine when used within the reel's recommended line size.

-J

Swami805

A Newell spool is a little lighter than the 140 plastic spool and a bunch lighter than the chrome brass spool. A don't have a Penn aluminum 140 spool to compare. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade for casting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Flat Top

Maxed Out, Swami805; Thanks! I may want to look into that!

Jurelometer; That is a good reason right there to stay away from mono on conventional reels. In the field, how can one judge how much tension is on the spool? How much tension can any spool withstand?  The whole thing sounds pretty iffy to me.

I chose to load my Squidder spool with the KastKing Tripolymer, which is "supposed" to be a low stretch (12% less) mono, low memory as well...excellent reviews....First use, so I dont know how good it will be....I am wondering if that would negate the spool warp factor a bit?

MarkT

Those plastic spools are from way back in the days before mono when linen line was the bees knees! Stick with an aluminum (or graphite) spool unless you're displaying the reel on the shelf.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Flat Top

Thanks Mark; I guarantee you it will be a "user".

jurelometer

Quote from: Flat Top on June 29, 2023, 01:13:26 AMMaxed Out, Swami805; Thanks! I may want to look into that!

Jurelometer; That is a good reason right there to stay away from mono on conventional reels. In the field, how can one judge how much tension is on the spool? How much tension can any spool withstand?  The whole thing sounds pretty iffy to me.

I chose to load my Squidder spool with the KastKing Tripolymer, which is "supposed" to be a low stretch (12% less) mono, low memory as well...excellent reviews....First use, so I dont know how good it will be....I am wondering if that would negate the spool warp factor a bit?

Mono shouldn't be an issue with a stock aluminum spool. I used to wind it so tight on Jigmasters that I was shredding gears, but never blew out an aluminum spool. You can decide in advance that you don't want to like mono, but I bet that you are still gonna like it if you are casting it wet :) I don't think that getting the line wet is a big deal, because that is something that you have to do anyways if you are actually fishing.

As for KastKing "tripolymer": They say right on the front of box "not fluorocarbon, not monofilament", and then call it "advanced monofilament" as well - right on the same front of the same box!  Plus fluorocarbon fishing line is also a monofilament.  Monofilament simply means one filament.  In other words, what they are saying is "our monofilament is not monofilament or monofilament". Arrgh! 

I wish that they would respect us enough to work a bit harder on the bamboozling.  It may be good line, and you may like it, but I personally would have zero interest in anything that KastKing has to say about it.  And of course the fishing press just regurgitates the same marketing babblespeak.

All modern nylon monofilament fishing lines are a blend of different flavors of nylon.  You just gotta try it, or listen to somebody that you trust that has used it.

-J

Flat Top

Jurelometer; One thing my father used to say was: "never trust the word of a salesman or a politician". Every manufacturer tries to promote their product as the best thing since bread and butter and its up to the consumer make the call. 

I am going to keep an open mind on this and will try the mono and the braid before I before I decide what I am going to go with...or I might just go with both. Its nice to have options.

Maxed Out

I don't own a Newell squidder spool, but just for the record....a jigmaster 500L spool weighs 3.9 oz, and a Newell 500L  spool weighs 2.9 oz

Flat Top

Maxed Out; those are both aluminum spools?

Maxed Out

Flat Top

That is remarkable.....I wonder how the Newell spool compares in weight to the plastic spool....if I didnt have mine full of line I could weigh it...I hope somebody will chime in here. I have been pricing Newell spools for the Squidder...they are almost as much as I paid for the reel.