Back at the Bench

Started by foakes, July 01, 2023, 11:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

After not working on reels for nearly (2) months due to traveling, Winter cleanup & repair, and fire season prep —- I started to work on reels again yesterday.

Did a DAM Quick 1000, 1001, Mitchell 308, and these two Penn 720Z's in the bronze-grey metallic color with gold cranks and spools.

The 720Z's were introduced in the 70's —- ran through the late 90's —- and were made in the USA by Penn.

These two were acquired by a good member on our site.  They each needed 7 to 10 replacement parts.

They had been used in the salt —- were a little crusty upon disassembly.  And someone had used that cruddy black slick graphite grease.  It works well —- but it was a bear to evacuate all of the old grease and crud from these two reels.

But got it done.

Both are as new —- and operate as new, or possibly better.

This color is unusual —- and denotes the last run of 720Z's before Penn discontinued their manufacture.

Great light Salt or Medium Fresh Water reels.

These do not have a bearing —- but instead a heavy-duty brass bushing for the pinion —- which is actually stronger and better than a ball bearing for service, clean out, and longevity.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

You do nice work Fred, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Finest Kind

Wow! Beautiful, organized shop! That must make it a pleasure to work on the reels. One take away I will certainly be using is the plastic trays. That will save me a lot of time crawling around on the floor in the basement.
John

reelrepair123

hi  fred,   the reels look great, like new, great job as always, take care my friend.    harryk

jgp12000

Fred I don't have one of those "yet",but a great looking reel! With your touch pristine :al