July 16th, it's on!

Started by JasonGotaProblem, June 28, 2023, 07:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Good friends moved to NE Alabama a few months ago and invited me to go on a 10 hour out of Sarasota targeting grooper and blackfin, too bad air travel is so expensive.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on June 30, 2023, 03:33:23 AMI can only bring 3 rods. You would think that simplify things, but it actually complicates them.

haha, I know what you mean, its the problem for having 2-3 reels/rods on the same line rating, we struggle selecting the "best" gear for the trip.

but I think with 3 rods you are more than covered for anything, 1 light rod, one medium and well one med-heavy, thats what I normally take on my fishing trips here in Baja which is kind of similar to the Florida peninsula, but I normally carry on my tackle backpack 2 spare reels that will fit any of the light or medium rods in case my main reels suffer a problem on the boat.
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Getting closer!
I'm still trying to finish up my grouper rod. I need to either get my solid frame everol spooled, or steal the spool from my frame-bar model. I haven't gotten to touch my accurate reel but I may try after the rod is finished. Im trying to have it wrapped and epoxied by tomorrow night so it has plenty of time to finish curing then i can focus on the reels.

I haven't gotten a chance to begin building a 4/0 or 6/0 senator, but my everol and hot rodded jigmasters probably aren't far off capability-wise. I think keith's 900H is gonna come along. It's definitely got some upgrades, it can lift a 25# dumbbell without drag slipping at all, but backed all the way off its still like 5# of resistance.

Any strong reason why it would be a bad idea to attempt to put an LT100 on a conventional rod? I was considering bringing it as a backup reel in case my right arm gets worn out, but my rod count is limited to 3.

Also what kind of knots are you guys using for a grouper rig? I imagine I'll be crimping the 80 and 100# leaders I'm bringing, and Alberto knots to attach to braid, right?

I have primarily egg weights. Should i plan on just putting them inline, or should I be doing dropper loops?

I'm sure the deck hands will be able to help with some of this but it's nice to be somewhat ready ahead of time.

Also we are close enough to the date to start looking at weather, and so far it's looking pretty good! Winds below 10mph leads me to hope for calm-ish seas.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

get ready for DONT SLEEP at all tonight!

I cant get any sleep the night before fishing specially after a long time hiatus, but it happens also in every trip, the adrenaline of going fishing hit pretty early  :fish

The Baja Guy

Keta

Have a safe and productive trip. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

Trying to get myself ready.

I just need to figure out how to rig up my terminal tackle. I got 2/0 4/0 and 7/0 circle hooks.

How much lead should I be bringing?

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 15, 2023, 05:05:32 PMTrying to get myself ready.

I just need to figure out how to rig up my terminal tackle. I got 2/0 4/0 and 7/0 circle hooks.

How much lead should I be bringing?

the amount of lead depends on each zone, if its mostly sandy bottoms you wont lose any but its rocky bottoms take at least 5 of each size.
on my zone I normally use 4oz, 6oz and 10oz depending on the current.

if this is your 1st time prepare some regular drooper loop rigs with two hooks on some zip bags, but take some extra spools of your leader line and ask your boat captain which is the preferred rig, size of hook and distance between hooks, lead, swivel, etc. following your captain recommendations can be the difference between catching fish or come home with lots of pictures of your reels, landscapes and selfies.

The Baja Guy

ExcessiveAngler

Good luck brother!
I hope you slay, the living crap out of them!

Matt

Swami805

Hope you have a great trip!!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

So this didn't go so well. I am pretty sure I was the only one on the boat to leave empty handed. I had 2 very experienced people on either side and I just didnt stand a chance. I did land 2 small grouper at the very end so it wasnt a total wash but I left extremely upset and wondering if I ever wanna go offshore ever again. I tried a lot of different things. I changed presentation o changed bait I tried different rods I tried different hooks I had 10 hours to experiment. I've calmed down but I left thinking about just leaving my gear on the side of the road.

Definitely not the outcome I expected. Others did very well, this doesn't reflect negatively on the crew. Maybe someone had a voodoo doll of me and put it near to but out of reach of a fish.

Keta

Mark Twain

thrasher

Sorry to hear that Jason.

Bottom fishing in 60 plus feet of water takes some getting used to. If the current is strong then knowing when you hit bottom can be tricky, it comes and goes quickly. It's easy to miss when you hit bottom and then keep letting line out and then you can't feel a bite. For me it's not about feeling hitting bottom but seeing a quick bow in the line as it's going out.

Hit bottom and then a small window to drag bottom before you have to let more line out. Drop hold drag, drop hold drag for about 5 times and then crank up.

I still remember my buddy taking bottom fishing for the first time, it was a beat down. They were hooking up like crazy and I just kept coming up with no bait.

Keta

Try staying on the bottom in 600'-700' with current.  We often use 48oz leads.

Mark Twain

JasonGotaProblem

I keep thinking back to the old Bruce Lee quote. "Pain is the best teacher, but nobody wants to attend his class."

It was a very educational trip. But, well, it hurt. I guess I thought all my experience feeling bites and landing fish in 3-10' of water would take me further than it did.

I think he was trying to make me feel better, but dude said something to the effect of "no such thing as beginners luck offshore." I guess he was right.

Keta

Do not let it get you down.  On the next trip you will have a bit more knowledge.

Observe what others are doing,  especially the ones catching, and try to do the same.

Did you try fishing iron?  A 100gr jig should reach bottom in 60' unless the current is realy strong, then a 150g should work.

Mark Twain