cabelas salt striker

Started by duckyfish, August 22, 2010, 04:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckyfish

hey all, im new to this board but have been reading tons of info on another site about the founder of this site. very cool guy. now my question is i have a cabelas salt striker that needs some attention. does anyone know who makes these reels, and if i can find a schematic on them?  these reels have been great on tuna up here in oregon and i desperatly need to service them. thanks in advance for your help,   monty

duckyfish

ok i think ive figured it out so far. really simple no real headaches just have to pay attention to some minor things and your golden. tomorrow i will get the grease and some oil for it and do it for real then go catch some more tuna on it.

duckyfish

all done with this reel. for those of you who are interested. very simple straight foreword no big suprises. although they say "10" bearings 4 are sealed bearings and the other 6 are open roller. got a couple more to do so im not affraid anymore.

they seem to be an ok reel for the money and with a bunch of bottom fish and several dozen tuna i think they are great bang for the buck. monty

Norcal Pescador

Good work, Monty. That's how a lot of us got started: we read a bit then took the plunge. Great forums like this one are the best resource. It's a good feeling to be able to take care of your own stuff and save time and $$ in the process.

Watch out for flying springs!

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

monty, sorry about not getting back to you sooner.  were you able to switch out the drag washers? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akozols

I just joined the board and this is one of my first posts.  I too use Salt Striker reels.  Being married with two kids and a household to finance, I have very little to spend on my equipment.  The SS is a great bang for the buck.

Irish Jigger

akozols

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 27, 2012, 09:54:34 AM
Welcome akozols.

Thank you, sir.  I'll get around to posting my intro.

redsetta

Welcome Monty and akozols - good to have you aboard.
QuoteWatch out for flying springs!
x2 Rob.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

D impala95

I'm not absolutely sure(99%) but I believe the Salt Strikers are made by Okuma.
I'm a trained killer.
It's killing time but please leave oversize sturgeon in the water.

Don Leitao

BMITCH

All the salt strikers I've ever worked on,look almost identical to the Okuma's. Dependingmon the reel size, a lot of the carbon drag washers for the Peen's fit. The only difference that I could see was the machining on the inside of the SS is not as clean as the Okuma's. On the spinners I have seen quite a few have problems around the reel foot. They tend to crack. Maybe it's al little to brittle. Good luck with these and keep tearing them down. You'll become an expert by experience .

Bob
luck is the residue of design.