Penn Peer Series Question

Started by Crab Pot, July 19, 2023, 09:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crab Pot

My other Peer's where red plated EA so I wanted to keep them the suited.

I prefer black plated reels but I'm not picky.  ;)
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

RadarRick

Has some kid tried to modify the tailplate with a yellow marker?  That was my first thought, but then noticed the same pattern along the edge. The headplate is the normal burgundy. I recall someone here recounting how the molding department folks would occasionally sweep up shavings and re-use them. However, this piece has a different pattern from the usual mottling in the lower end reels. Is this a common coloration/pattern?

Crab Pot

RadarRick,

That is some cool marbling/mottling.

Never seen one with such a bright contrast color.

Steve
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Swami805

Wow, never seen that before. Is it mottled like that all the thru?  Have you seen the other side of that side plate?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RadarRick

It's not in hand, so I can't examine it very thoroughly - just looking at photos.  We can't see the back of the plate as it's covered with chrome side ring.

Note that the yellow streaks are not seen within the lettering or immediately around the worm bearing, spare pawl cover, or under the main bearing. It would seem that it's surface discoloration and not mixed in the bakelite.

I'm thinking that some kind of corrosive chemical was brushed on and bleached out the burgundy color.

Shellbelly

Looks like something was applied after it was made.  Hard to say without seeing inside.  It doesn't look like it was "extruded" with that pattern.  Interesting mystery.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)