Holes in spools

Started by Makule, March 02, 2012, 06:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Here's a question for all the engineers and physics eggheads:  Aside from the bearings, the weight of the spool is perhaps the most influential factor is casting distance (all other things being equal).  When the old Penn Senator reels were made with heavy, cast bronze, spools, they were not meant for casting and were, in fact, hard to cast very far.  Someone had a bright idea and came up with aluminum and graphite spools and casting distances immediately went up very significantly.  Aluminum spools are already light (and strong) but could be made lighter by drilling holes in the sides (assumedly without weakening the spool to the point of breakage).  So, assume one drills a sufficient number of holes, in quantity, size, and locations that do not excessively weaken the spool, but lighten it.  Would this reduction in weight be significant enough to merit such treatment, or would the additional edges cause more air friction so that it overcomes any possible improvement in distance?

Certainly, there are many variables so it's clearly not a yes or no answer.  What are your thoughts?

As and aside (easier question), why did Penn discontinue graphite spools and switch to aluminum in the casting reels?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Irish Jigger

Re Drilling holes in spool sides.
I would imagine that drilling spool sides would allow some water into the reel on every retrieve.
Subsequent casting would distribute this water throughout the reel due to centrifugal force.

Bryan Young

In fact, there are many fresh water reels (mostly bass reels) have or have an option for a holed spool.

So, if you were to do it, I'd consider balancing the spool rotationally.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 02, 2012, 07:50:34 PM
I'd consider balancing the spool rotationally.

X2, if the spool is out of ballance it will not spin smooth and reduce your distance.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

Quote...there are many fresh water reels (mostly bass reels) have or have an option for a holed spool.
x2 - they're often called wiffle spools.
Bryan and Lee are spot on:
Quote...if the spool is out of ballance it will not spin smooth and reduce your distance.
Also, I've seen a new wiffle spool (on a Curado low-profile baitcaster) burst laterally when the braid was spooled too tightly on it, which also split the frame.
Might be something to keep in mind if drilling a heavier-grade reel.
If you're interested, there's some info on 'em here.
http://www.japantackle.com/Topics/Drill_spool.htm
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

Quoteif the spool is out of ballance it will not spin smooth and reduce your distance
No question about that.

QuoteI've seen a new wiffle spool (on a Curado low-profile baitcaster) burst laterally when the braid was spooled too tightly on it, which also split the frame.
I'd say the spool wasn't engineered properly (or was defective).  To break the spool with braid is impressive.  It would not have had a chance with mono.

The Japan Fishing Tackle articles were quite informative/interesting.  I guess fishing gear nuts kinda all think alike (lighter, stronger, faster, more leverage, etc) no matter where they're from.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Ratchet

Quote from: Makule on March 02, 2012, 06:24:33 PM

As and aside (easier question), why did Penn discontinue graphite spools and switch to aluminum in the casting reels?

Carl Newell got a US patent (4746,079) in 1988 on his graphite composite spool design.  I suspect this has something to do with it.  Also, Newell got a patent in 1993 on his double dog antireverse used on his 500-series reels. 

So who came out first with aluminum spools for Penn reels, was it Newell with his aftermarket parts and extension kits or was it Penn? 

Makule

I actually cut an aluminum spool for a Pfleuger Templar 1419 3/4 way back in the early 70s.  At the same time, I modified the bearings so that instead of the brass bushings, I put in two Senator ball bearings.  Put it away because the rest of the reel wasn't very strong (I.E., weak gears and brakes).  Maybe I'll take it out and see if I can find replacement SS gears and use carbon fiber washers.  Getting me interested in working on it again.

At the time when I cut the aluminum spool, I talked to my brother-in-law (big mistake) about figuring out the specs for the spool to make sure it was strong enough, thinking I could apply for a patent on it.   I told him what I was trying to do and his response was, "If it's worth making, someone would already be doing it".  Treated me like a young kid, and I was since I believed him and never pursued it.

Anyway, here are some images.

redsetta

Great work mate.
Should give it another lease on life.  ;)
Cheers for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer