Stuck spool on new 146

Started by Flat Top, September 03, 2023, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Love that new cap that you made. Nifty creation.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Flat Top

Thanks Bryan! The side plates are rejuvenated, thorough cleaning all done, and a bearing and Carbontex drag washers have been ordered. When the parts arrive it will go back together and then its time to do some fishing!!!
Overkill....is way underrated.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Flat Top on September 06, 2023, 01:29:26 PMThanks Bryan! The side plates are rejuvenated, thorough cleaning all done, and a bearing and Carbontex drag washers have been ordered. When the parts arrive it will go back together and then its time to do some fishing!!!
Ooooohhh, shiiiiiny!!!
Darn, those came out great Flat Top!
Please share your cleaning procedure with me!
I'd love, to have all my old reels, look nice and proper like your 146!
I've always used WD-40 to basically clean everything rods/reels, except the labels!
Amazing, how you can take some WD-40 and spray it on an old rod, then wipe it down and brings it right back to life, after a couple times!

Flat Top

ExcessiveAngler; WD-40 is fine. I usually just rub the cleaned dull side plates down with grease, let sit for a bit, and wipe it off with a soft cloth. Then I apply Scotts Liquid Gold, Orange Glo, Lemon Pledge...whatever I have laying around in the way of furniture polish to finish them off. I have machine buffed dull side plates, but that is kind of a touchy process so I would not suggest that unless you are trained in machine buffing plastics. My method wont last long so I have to wipe them down with the same products after use to keep them nice looking. Its more about protection than looks anyway. After a while and multiple applications the side plates take on a nice sheen. I have also sprayed the side plates with two part polyurethane enamel (commercial body shop auto body color and clear coat) and they look great and stay that way if you are gentle with your reels...if not none of the above will help. 
Overkill....is way underrated.