JDM Daiwa Saltiga 22 Drag

Started by BR, May 25, 2024, 10:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a star drag JDM Daiwa 15 sj, Im looking to change the drag curve slightly I'd like to see a nice adjustable 4-12lb curve currently I got the drag set around 8lbs and it's about 5 clicks from the end and it greatly ramps up at this point. I am not looking to increase the drag just to change the adjustment curve My question is where can I add washers to change this curve (yeah I know JDM reel,parts, mag seal, special drag grease, blah blah blah) Im not concerned about warranties on this reel!!
Thank you
Brian

BR

Schematic

Gfish

Looks like there's at least 2 belvile pressure washers underneath the star wheel, what configuration are the in now; ((, or ()?  Pictures( the schematic is difficult to read and there's no part names)?
Interesting, there's a coil spring in there too.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

BR

You are correct about the pressure washers I set them to () about the same )) slightly less I'm not sure how they were from the factory I feel I need give myself like 15-20 clicks

jurelometer

The travel to load ratio on these Belleville spring washers is not linear. As you get closer to flattening out the cupping, you get increasingly greater load for the same amount of travel (degrees of star rotation in this case).  The trick is to keep the springs toward the lower end of their compression range for the drag clamping load range that you prefer to play in.

There are two tools at your disposal:

1.  Strength:  Belleville's come in varying strengths for the same size - with just the thickness changing.  I go to McMaster Carr, as it has load info and lots of choices, but I am sure that there are other suppliers.

2. Orientation:  Nesting the washers -  "((("  or ")))", it doesn't matter -  means less travel to achieve the same clamping load and opposing the washers - ")()()" does the opposite.

Both these options change the height of your washer stack, so you need to take this into consideration.

IMHO, microtuning the drag is a bit overrated.  The load at the fish end can constantly be changing from friction on the water pulling across the line. Any minor change in drag setting is irrelevant. It is still useful to not have the drag bottom out, and not require too many or too few turns in your normal  drag range, but not worth trying to set it up too exactly.  Plus  the ramp up will never be linear, or even close to it unless you have a extremely long handle shaft to accommodate all the required opposing bellevilles :)

Assuming that you have enough room, it still might be tough to get a 3x range thst ramps faintly  evenly. Maybe a combination of thinner and thicker washers.  I never bothered with going this far, so I don't know how practical this is.

-J

BR

Hello J
I think I got enough room in there I'm ordering a few more washers I'll see how it goes I'm not really looking to micro manage my drag just getting where it falls into my useful range and I have a little room to adjust