How can you tell if a Daiwa model is no longer repaired/discontinued?

Started by chriselk, September 06, 2023, 04:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ourford

If it's just bearings, they're all readily available by size. 4x7x2.5 7x11x3 7x13x4
Vic

happyhooker

Typing this now as I wait on hold w/ Shimano on a parts query.  Was told 32 minutes ago that my estimated wait time was 5 min.  Hoping the sympathy ploy may work. But, gotta get thru 1st.

Frank

Penn always available?  They can't provide parts for SpinfisherV's anymore. Pure fishing dumped the old Ambassadeur parts and I wouldn't expect they'll let Penn have much inventory either.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: 0119 on April 19, 2024, 05:34:35 PMPenn always available?  They can't provide parts for SpinfisherV's anymore. Pure fishing dumped the old Ambassadeur parts and I wouldn't expect they'll let Penn have much inventory either.
I've got a big bin of spinfisherV parts not doing me much good. If mystic doesn't have what you need, I might.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

happyhooker

Never got thru to Shimano on 1st call after 40 + min.  Tried again the next day; got thru after short wait, only to find out they have no parts of any kind for the reel (Shimano MLX 300) I have.  Will try to make a needed bail spring for the "never fail bail" with the "unbreakable" bail spring.

Frank

boon

Quote from: happyhooker on April 19, 2024, 09:41:16 PMNever got thru to Shimano on 1st call after 40 + min.  Tried again the next day; got thru after short wait, only to find out they have no parts of any kind for the reel (Shimano MLX 300) I have.  Will try to make a needed bail spring for the "never fail bail" with the "unbreakable" bail spring.

Frank

I mean that model is, give or take, 43 years old. How long is reasonable for a brand to keep parts for?

Reeltyme

Quote from: boon on April 29, 2024, 10:24:10 PM
Quote from: happyhooker on April 19, 2024, 09:41:16 PMNever got thru to Shimano on 1st call after 40 + min.  Tried again the next day; got thru after short wait, only to find out they have no parts of any kind for the reel (Shimano MLX 300) I have.  Will try to make a needed bail spring for the "never fail bail" with the "unbreakable" bail spring.

Frank

I mean that model is, give or take, 43 years old. How long is reasonable for a brand to keep parts for?

How about a 2 year old Shimano Twin Power 8000 - parts discontinued!

happyhooker

Quote from: boon on April 29, 2024, 10:24:10 PM

Frank

I dunno.  They advertised it as having a "never fail bail", so the obvious answer is as long as there is any demand.

Frank

boon

Quote from: Reeltyme on April 29, 2024, 11:24:26 PMHow about a 2 year old Shimano Twin Power 8000 - parts discontinued!

Seems really odd, what model Twin Power and when?

Quote from: happyhooker on April 30, 2024, 01:22:32 AM
Quote from: boon on April 29, 2024, 10:24:10 PMI mean that model is, give or take, 43 years old. How long is reasonable for a brand to keep parts for?

I dunno.  They advertised it as having a "never fail bail", so the obvious answer is as long as there is any demand.

Frank

I think we have different levels of "reasonable". My version doesn't extend to a manufacturer maintaining a functionally indefinite inventory of parts just in case someone out there is still using a reel they haven't produced for 3 decades... especially when it's a reel that was $25 new.

Reeltyme

Quote from: boon on April 30, 2024, 04:20:47 AM
Quote from: Reeltyme on April 29, 2024, 11:24:26 PMHow about a 2 year old Shimano Twin Power 8000 - parts discontinued!

Seems really odd, what model Twin Power and when?

It was a service job I did for a customer last year. He has 4 of the same reel. I contacted Shimano direct and first they asked "where did I get the reel" and then informed me it was not supported and parts were discontinued and unavailable. Thanks to Dave's in Tampa, I was able to find comparable parts for repair. This experience just reinforced my dislike for Shimano.

Quote from: happyhooker on April 30, 2024, 01:22:32 AM
Quote from: boon on April 29, 2024, 10:24:10 PMI mean that model is, give or take, 43 years old. How long is reasonable for a brand to keep parts for?

Frank

I think we have different levels of "reasonable". My version doesn't extend to a manufacturer maintaining a functionally indefinite inventory of parts just in case someone out there is still using a reel they haven't produced for 3 decades... especially when it's a reel that was $25 new.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Reeltyme on April 30, 2024, 09:12:41 AMIt was a service job I did for a customer last year. He has 4 of the same reel. I contacted Shimano direct and first they asked "where did I get the reel" and then informed me it was not supported and parts were discontinued and unavailable. Thanks to Dave's in Tampa, I was able to find comparable parts for repair. This experience just reinforced my dislike for Shimano.
But definitely reinforces my fondness for Dave's in Tampa.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Penn

Quote from: 0119 on April 19, 2024, 05:34:35 PMThey can't provide parts for Spinfisher V's anymore.

News to me.  But what do I know. 

tony (Parts and Service Manager)