Newbie to surf fishing

Started by CooldadE, September 10, 2023, 07:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfram M

I'll probably have photos from my trip to the treasure coast area in two weeks.

I am still practicing with the Beachmaster, I just spooled it with modern braid and today was Day 2 of learning to cast with modern material on it.

I will be rigging that rod with a pyramid sinker on a slider, and a 5/0 circle hook on a longish 20lb leader, to throw a live pinfish or cut bait, I find that pinfish are almost indestructible until something big hits them.

My spinning rod will get a whiting/pompano rig, and then I'll have a rod with a topwater lure. That's my surf rod setup, and instead of a surf cart I am going to take a kid's plastic sled. 

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Crab Pot on September 15, 2023, 02:07:03 AMForget to mention, waders are a must no matter how hot it is!

Steve

Steve speaks the truth; and I always wear an external belt with my bait canteen (old modified bleach bottle with layers of burlap sack and sand crabs).  That tight belt is an extra layer of safety if a rogue wave knocks you off your feet - ensures you stay semi-buoyant instead of having your waders fill and become instant anchors... - john

jgp12000

John,
I had to verify that sand crabs are in fact what we on the east coast call "sand fleas" crabs
Sounds better...Also,I have heard sharks like sand bars and not to have your bait too close.I personally stay on the shore to fish.

JasonGotaProblem

If im trying to catch big stuff i usually will wade out to cast and then walk back in and put my rod in a sand spike.

I sometimes wonder if the loss of casting difference from the sacrifice of stable footing while casting compares to the distanced gained by walking it out farther. I'm sure there's a break even point somewhere.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 15, 2023, 11:19:56 AMIf im trying to catch big stuff i usually will wade out to cast and then walk back in and put my rod in a sand spike.

I sometimes wonder if the loss of casting difference from the sacrifice of stable footing while casting compares to the distanced gained by walking it out farther. I'm sure there's a break even point somewhere.
Jason, you're on point!  I feel the subject of distance casting and getting WAY out there is debatable (NOT WRONG).  There are so many variables that change from day-to-day.  What rarely changes dramatically is basic bottom structure of the area you know.  Barring super storms and unusual currents, the bottom characteristics are mostly static.  Nearshore or 200-400 yards out, the food chain is mostly predictable.  Yesterday, I watched 2' ladyfish tear into finger mullet in knee-deep water.  I netted a couple of those, cut em up and caught black tip and spinners at 75 yards.  Why go out?  I don't want to wade through that bunch of crazy kids!  I was having enough problems with the dang pelicans and gulls.(don't look up)

Consider this:  You hard-march out 150 yards with your 12' and cast from chest-deep water.  You have a 4-6' leader, 5 oz of lead, and 4-6 oz of bait.  You might get 50 yards out of that cast. That's ok, given the ergonomics.  Now, you gotta go back.  You're in free spool with your back to the bait.  Unless you can walk on water, you're trudging again.  Tired yet?  That 6-footer you're after hits and strips 50-75 yards before you turn back around and get yourself and that rod in fishing position....elbows and reel above water, free spool off and drag set.  You now have a rod butt in your stomach, you're bouncing up and down in swells with your prey pulling you every time your feet leave the bottom.  Your line goes slack.  Did you lose him.....or..... is he headed your way?  Did that slack line wrap around you?  Uh oh! 

In any event, you're more subject to being owned way out there if you hunt the big bite on foot.  Not trying to talk anybody out of it.  Do it.  Heck, do it at night!  It's an adventure and it IS extreme fishing.  No safe haven of boat or land.  You are in the pen with your prey.  Getting hooked up big like that is like nothing else in fishing, IMO.  It's a frighteningly exciting rush and you'll figure out how to do stuff real quick. 

It's just that some don't think about what they are getting into "out there" on foot.  Your mobility is very restricted, you are alone regardless of who is on shore, and likely without "tools" since you're just going out "real quick" to cast some bait, right?

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

You're not wrong. It's part of the adventure. I'll usually walk out til where it starts getting deep. And yeah being chest deep and trying to cast with waves etc gets fun. And then with currents by the time youve walked back in its being dragged over by those swimmers who didn't seem that close before.

Crab Pot

Quote from: Shellbelly on September 15, 2023, 08:12:46 PMI feel the subject of distance casting and getting WAY out there is debatable (NOT WRONG).

Brian,

My "average cast" in thigh deep surf is approx. 30 yards.

The fish, at least where I go (Eastern Pacific), are darting in and out of the ledge/tunnel/chute I mentioned prior. You put it somewhere 5-10 yards past that and your in the kill zone for multiple species.

Anything much past that is hit and miss as far as productivity and definitely cast and wait bottom fishing off the sand spike.

Sand Crab (Fleas) work well too. Then the kids were still home they'd dig them up with the out going waves and I'd have a ton. My wife, lets just say she's on a blanket reading a book, playing with the dog, or taking pictures...
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Brewcrafter

Quote from: jgp12000 on September 15, 2023, 10:48:09 AMohn,
I had to verify that sand crabs are in fact what we on the east coast call "sand fleas" crabs
Sounds better...Also,I have heard sharks like sand bars and not to have your bait too close.I personally stay on the shore.

Yes, and note that there are possession limits on sand crabs and the like that are covered by your California license.  In theory, yes you can get a ticket for too much bait.  As far as sharks and such - not regular feed for them, and not their regular environment - you are fine.  Wading with a bloody sea lion attached to your belt - not good odds :D

Now, 45 years ago I WAS that kid north of Morro Rock that was chest deep and tossing a 13' stick with a 5oz sand claw.  And as described above I would slog back....lather...rinse...repeat  (fishing with my Dad, so never alone) plus I had the unlimited energy of youth and enthusiasm.  Boy was I one happy idiot.  Here is what I have learned from those experiences (as well as boogie boarding in warmer waters) that the intertidal environment has structure.  Many is the time that I have waded out up to my chest and 10 feet father I am standing in knee deep water on a bar and I'm 75 feet from shore.  Do you need to do this?  NO! Just telling you what the environment is like sometimes.  It is rare now if I get knee deep.  Learned it's not really necessary - the fish and the perch are there, and easily in reach.  BUT I have still been caught unaware by rogue waves, and I have waded out to get that large fish and been surprised, and I realize that at my age I am not that indestructible 13 year old; I am now a fat old man with a bad knee.  Hence the extra caution and the belt. I would not counsel against a set of Sospenders (I don't wear them, but at my age probably should?  Good thing SWMBO is not on the forum?  I do wear them on my boat).
The other thing I saw mentioned above - this environment is a very turbulent, sight limited (all that sand and froth) and time limited (the only time fish have access to feed is during that part of the tide).  Stealth presentations are pointless - if a predator sees a brief flash of something perceived as food - BANG!  Hookup!!!!
Have fun, I love the surf. - john               

jurelometer

Surf fishing technique/equipment really varies with the beach/ocean environment and target species.

Re casting distance:  the main target For the OP will be California surf perch, which are hunting on the mole crab (AKA sand crab) beds when they are in the surf area, so we are talking about VERY close to shore.  Folks cast right over them.  I have caught perch when wading up to mid calf when my fly has drifted behind me toward the beach :)

Also the surf in NorCal tends to be pretty big, often with some even bigger waves mixed in, so this is not a wade-up-to-your-armpits type fishery. Knee height is about it unless you are fishing in a wetsuit and are comfortable leaving your rod behind and swimming in heavy surf.

The zenflyfishing site has some of the best, most succinct information on surf perch beach fishing for the SF/Monterrey bay area- very useful for the spinning guys as well.  I believe that the creator has passed away awhile back, but the perch are still the same.  Here are a couple pages worth looking at:

Description of area beaches:

http://zenflyfishing.com/beaches.html

How to read the surf to find the perch:

http://zenflyfishing.com/findingfish.html

-J

JasonGotaProblem

All i wanna know is do you west coast folks know about the stingray shuffle?

Crab Pot

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 15, 2023, 09:46:28 PMAll i wanna know is do you west coast folks know about the stingray shuffle?

Must be an East Coast thing!  ;)  ;D
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Wolfram M

Quote from: Crab Pot on September 15, 2023, 11:48:27 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 15, 2023, 09:46:28 PMAll i wanna know is do you west coast folks know about the stingray shuffle?

Don't pick your feet up. Slide them along the sand or you risk that stingray you just stepped on making your calf/ankle unusable in hip deep water!

jurelometer

Quote from: Wolfram M on September 16, 2023, 12:37:41 AM
Quote from: Crab Pot on September 15, 2023, 11:48:27 PM

Don't pick your feet up. Slide them along the sand or you risk that stingray you just stepped on making your calf/ankle unusable in hip deep water!

Surf is too rough here in NorCal for rays to want to hang out at wading depth.  There are lots of rays around in some spots, just a bit deeper and more protected water.  You know which spots have a lot of rays, because that is where the juvenile great white sharks hang out in pretty good numbers. They dine on the rays until they get big enough to take on sea lions and the occasional kayaker.

If you have a great white shuffle, I am all ears.

You could probably step on a ray wading the beach down in SoCal where the surf is less rough, but it would probably require some bad luck. 

Alex probably has some ray stories.  There are beaches along the Sea of Cortez where the rays are pretty thick, and the shuffle is mandatory.

-J

Swami805

Plenty of rays in so cal, at times they're pretty thick. Sea of Cortez has bullseye rays, they're electric, a whole new reason to shuffle your feet or maybe stay on dry land. There electric rays in California too but rarely in shallow water
Do what you can with that you have where you are