What do you re-use from an offshore trip?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 11, 2023, 06:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Man I really thought i was the one being conservative. I just find that every time I halfass it on anything that's the time I get that crazy huge hit, only to watch it fail on the thing I didn't think mattered.

I'm spending at least $100 to be out there. None of my hooks cost more than a buck each. But that's just me.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Crab Pot

Quote from: MarkT on September 18, 2023, 03:37:55 PMI don't reuse Sabiki's. Too much of a hassle to store.

I have a hard time opening a set let alone reusing them...
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

the rockfish ninja

Anything line related that has been in the water. Topshots, leaders, and sometimes assist hook line if it shows any abrasion damage. Hooks I keep & resharpen, swivels are kept unless they fail, and I don't rinse hardware in freshwater, I just spray them with corrosionX. I use overpriced jigs most of the time so I definitely reuse them but I never do anything to clean them and they never corrode.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

boon

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 19, 2023, 01:14:04 AMI'm spending at least $100 to be out there. None of my hooks cost more than a buck each. But that's just me.

If you're spending $100 to be out there maybe your hooks should cost more than a buck each. Food for thought.

boon

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on September 19, 2023, 05:38:03 AMAnything line related that has been in the water. Topshots, leaders, and sometimes assist hook line if it shows any abrasion damage. Hooks I keep & resharpen, swivels are kept unless they fail, and I don't rinse hardware in freshwater, I just spray them with corrosionX. I use overpriced jigs most of the time so I definitely reuse them but I never do anything to clean them and they never corrode.

Jigs last forever, unless they're claimed by a toothy critter or the biggest fish around aka a rock on the bottom of the sea :)

thorhammer

Quote from: sciaenops on September 18, 2023, 11:10:49 PMI toss live bait hooks that saw saltwater at end of each trip - too much hassle to separate, rinse & dry. I've seen the disastrous results of returning used (uncleaned, corroded) ones back into the tray. and I don't have any that cost more than a buck a piece (or very, very few anyway).

Bronze LB and trebles I use for kingfishing, ya those go away inasamuch as I've kingfished once in the last decade. I def don't put used and cleaned hooks back in the bags with virgin ones tho.