Penn conventional drag resistance.

Started by Flat Top, September 18, 2023, 04:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Sal once pimped a 9/0 out to get 75 lbs of drag, and that was before Tom's plates and frames. No, it's not a two speed, but you might get a 700 yards of braid on it and that's way more drag than most can handle standing up for a prolonged period....half of figure that is more, actually.

John

Flat Top

Jurelometer; I will test with an empty spool and see what transpires.

Thorhammer: A good point... is it humanly possible to sustain for any amount of time a 75 lb drag fighting a huge fish... I know I could not hang on to the rod and reel like that and I doubt that many could...standing, sitting, or otherwise. If somebody has done that my hat is off to them.
Overkill....is way underrated.

thorhammer

NOPE, for sure not stand-up in a bouncing boat....maybe sitting on the dirt LBS, but you might get road rash on the arse...

Flat Top

Even sitting I dont think I would stand a chance......200 lb fish, 180 lb man, 75 lbs of drag...do the numbers. Maybe me and three of my buddies could handle it...maybe!

JasonGotaProblem

I feel like at 75# of drag its basically a needlessly complicated direct drive reel with an anti reverse. Basically a winch with freespool.

I didnt say I don't want to build one. But let's call it like it is.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Flat Top

True Jason! I dont think that I can remember ever hitting max drag on any of my Penn reels.....maybe once or twice not realizing it...but not that I can remember. I knew a guy many years ago that fished a solid mounted dead winch with an anti reverse off of a jon boat in the big rivers here.....mainly for big blue cats...if you are familiar with the term "Nantucket Sleigh Ride" you know what happened!

Flat Top

This morning I tested one of my 350's with an empty spool...just a short 50 lb mono wrap on the spool. The scale went to 16 lbs and the spool under a hand tightened star drag did not turn...that is where I stopped....the reel drag had more to give but I was not going to push it! So, loosening the drag when the line runs out is the right way to go....a lot more drag is applied as the spool loses line. My other 350 showed about an 8 to 9 lb drag with a fully spooled reel, so that is more than double the drag with an empty spool.